Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Friendliest aviation Ccmmunity on the web
  • Modern site for PC's, Phones, Tablets - no 3rd party apps required
  • Ask questions, help others, promote aviation
  • Share the passion for aviation
  • Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Airline Training..... What routes the best?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

meyers9163

I am currently thinking about changing my career goals and becoming a commercial airline pilot is what I'd be doing. I have no time and no ratings and have been looking into a variety of options. Such as academys and doing my own training at a local air port while finishing up my college degree since I only have 2 years left on it. What would any of you recommend doing as far as a training and programs you'd recommend going to that you PERSONALLY know about (first hand). Some of my options include Delta Connection, Flight Safety, Regional, and Gulfstream Academy to name a few that I'm looking into. Before I unload the money to one of these is this the best route to get into the industry or is there a better way of doing this? I know for a fact I want to be a pilot and fly the rest of my life but I dont want to be paying the loan off the rest of my life either. Any words of advice would be great.

meyers9163 said:
I am currently thinking about changing my career goals and becoming a commercial airline pilot is what I'd be doing. I have no time and no ratings and have been looking into a variety of options. Such as academys and doing my own training at a local air port while finishing up my college degree since I only have 2 years left on it. What would any of you recommend doing as far as a training and programs you'd recommend going to that you PERSONALLY know about (first hand). Some of my options include Delta Connection, Flight Safety, Regional, and Gulfstream Academy to name a few that I'm looking into. Before I unload the money to one of these is this the best route to get into the industry or is there a better way of doing this? I know for a fact I want to be a pilot and fly the rest of my life but I dont want to be paying the loan off the rest of my life either. Any words of advice would be great.

Greetings..

What route is best? Lets see, how about keeping your current profession or job. Have you looked at a paper recently or watched the news?.. The airline industry is not a good place to be right now and I dont reccommend it to anyone. Your first year pay at a regional will be around 19K or so first year. You will make less than 30K for the next couple of years or so. Anyway, upgrade time to captain will be at least 4 years. Not to mention you said you are starting from scratch. It will take you at least 2 years or so to get the regional job to begin with. If you have to do it, do not go to DCA or GA. Also it would be best not to borrow 50 to 75 K to go to these schools in the first place. You will be in debt FOREVER paying off these f-ing loans. If you have PLENTY of cash then it doesnt matter. Good luck on your decision.

Take care

hmmurdock said:
Greetings..

What route is best? Lets see, how about keeping your current profession or job. Have you looked at a paper recently or watched the news?.. The airline industry is not a good place to be right now and I dont reccommend it to anyone. Your first year pay at a regional will be around 19K or so first year. You will make less than 30K for the next couple of years or so. Anyway, upgrade time to captain will be at least 4 years. Not to mention you said you are starting from scratch. It will take you at least 2 years or so to get the regional job to begin with. If you have to do it, do not go to DCA or GA. Also it would be best not to borrow 50 to 75 K to go to these schools in the first place. You will be in debt FOREVER paying off these f-ing loans. If you have PLENTY of cash then it doesnt matter. Good luck on your decision.

Take care

I agree with hmmurdock...

If it isn't a childhood dream, you might want to reconsider.

However - in my case - I decided when i was about 3 that I was going to be a pilot. Rain, snow or shine,,, lots of debt or no debt,,, good days, bad days, good pay, bad pay,,, nomatter what comes my way - I will be a pilot. That is what I am...

Tab Express or Gulfstream International are the VERY BEST places for training. Gulfstream for example, I mean I think its a great IDEA to have to DISH OUT $19,000 + in order to get flight time and then at the end of your flight time (you only get 250 hours) you MAY OR MAY NOT have a job with them. HOW GREAT IS THAT!?!?!?

PCL_128 or The Russian can tell you

They sold their souls to those places. Loooooooooooooosers

If your really serious, just go to your local airport and go to a FBO (Fixed Base Operator) ask questions to the flight instrtuctors, they will give you honest answers and if you are still interested, I say concentrate 110% on your flight training. If you drag your traiing out, you will be spending more money becasue you will not be remembering everything that you do.

Good Luck and stay away from those STUPID PFT schools. I look back at flying magazines and every ad in there is asking for YOUR money to build up flight time and get your ratings...its a joke man. The cheapest route is just going to your local airport and research flightschools in your area. Good Luck

Yank McCobb said:
The DORKY PILOT thread is a couple of pages over....:rolleyes:

Hey... You can call me a dork all you want. Atleast it won't ever be a "job" to me though, and you won't ever find me here bitchin' and complaining my life!

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back