• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Airline navigation

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
I will be starting my training to get my instrument rating. I will be flying a Cessna 172 fully IFR equipped. In my time as a pilot, I will rarely fly above 6,000 feet (but it might happen). Any last words of wisdom before I begin this challenging training. BTW.... this is most likely be the last certification I get as a pilot. I decided not to take my training any further than Private and Instrument pilot. I may take a discovery flight in a multi-engine airplane to see what it's like.

Thanks to everyone for their helpful advice!!

I will be starting my training to get my instrument rating. I will be flying a Cessna 172 fully IFR equipped. In my time as a pilot, I will rarely fly above 6,000 feet (but it might happen). Any last words of wisdom before I begin this challenging training. BTW.... this is most likely be the last certification I get as a pilot. I decided not to take my training any further than Private and Instrument pilot. I may take a discovery flight in a multi-engine airplane to see what it's like.

Thanks to everyone for their helpful advice!!

If you can afford it then Multi training is wonderful. It is a very rewarding and fun thing to do, but the expense may not be worth it if you are not flying them regularly or doing it for a job. Make no mistake that twin flying is some of the most dangerous flying a low time pilot can do. If you are not proficient and not doing it on a regular basis then you need to go up with an instructor for a couple of hours to get proficient again. Notice I said proficient and not current, two different things. Having said how dangerous it is, I am comfortable going up with a newly minted Multi guy because I know he would be proficient opposed to someone who has had it for years and only flies 50 hours a year or so with no recent twin training. The latter is only accident waiting to happen.

Have fun with the instrument!! If you really want to use your money wisely then seriously look at the CFI path in which case you may do those XCountries sooner. I learned 10x more as a CFI than I ever did as a student. You don't have to be a career instructor, but having a couple of students once in a while is a good thing. You could just be the guy at the airport who only does flight reviews and such. It will make you a much stronger pilot. That means you need to do the commercial then the CFI. You can also do the CFII a week later. You won't regret it. Then you can think about the multi if you so desire.

I have considered becoming a CFI. I was told by other CFI's at the flight school that the job is fun. I have to take things one step at a time. I enjoy flying small aircraft. Sometimes I wish I were younger, I would have possibly pursued a professional piloting career. Being almost 46 years old, that's not in the cards for me.

You can get a CFI and not use it. If you have a passion for the learning aspect and to further your knowledge and understanding of aviation, get the CFI. No need to live like a pauper and teach. Teach when its convenient as a supplement or not at all. Just be sure to renew it every 2 yrs or you lose all privileges.

I think it's a little too early in the game to consider a CFI rating. The CFI's that I have had are so crisp in their flying skills, it's amazing. I think CFI's are the underdogs of the aviation profession. Sometimes, I don't think they are given enought credit for their skills or hard work as aviators. I still have so much to learn before I consider becoming a CFI. Unlike some other aviation professionals, from what I have experienced, they seem to like instructing students. They really have a passion for it and enjoy it.

Latest resources

Back