• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Airbus: Pilots don't really need windows

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Future pilots will sit wherever drone pilots sit.
Yup. Once people get used to the pilots not being up front it's a small step to imagine them not being there at all. Same equipment and displays just in a different location. In fact, it's safer. During an emergency ground based pilots could be assisted by experienced shift managers and walkins from other cubicles rather than having to do it all by themselves. And who would you rather be flying if you encounter severe turbulence or upset? A pilot in the plane experiencing disorientation and nystagmus? Or one on the ground in 1g who is not? But most importantly, the FAs could now control the cabin temp to their heart's content, on Boeings anyway, whose manufacturer still hasn't acknowledged the invention of the thermostat.

Pilots in planes? It's a scam, I tell ya, a scam.

Last edited:
Yup. Once people get used to the pilots not being up front it's a small step to imagine them not being there at all. Same equipment and displays just in a different location. In fact, it's safer. During an emergency ground based pilots could be assisted by experienced shift managers and walkins from other cubicles rather than having to do it all by themselves. And who would you rather be flying if you encounter severe turbulence or upset? A pilot in the plane experiencing disorientation and nystagmus? Or one on the ground in 1g who is not? But most importantly, the FAs could now control the cabin temp to their heart's content, on Boeings anyway, whose manufacturer still hasn't acknowledged the invention of the thermostat.

Pilots in planes? It's a scam, I tell ya, a scam.

Cool.. It'll be just like the movie office space.

Um mm.. yahhh... I'm going to have to ask you to come in on Saturday and cover that OMA turn... Mmm Kay?

Last edited:
"The object of this preferred version is to immerse the pilot in a three-dimensional universe, at the center of the action," Airbus wrote.

Isn't this what a current cockpit does now? Genius...

This will save lives.

When it crashes, there will be two less people on board when they make it a drone!!

This will save lives.

When it crashes, there will be two less people on board when they make it a drone!!

Ever read up on drone accident rates?

Besides, I still have not seen a FMS that does NOT crash or freeze up. As long as that's the case I am ok with old school windows...

"The object of this preferred version is to immerse the pilot in a three-dimensional universe, at the center of the action," Airbus wrote.

Isn't this what a current cockpit does now? Genius...

Maybe someone should invent a flat-panel silicon-based photon transmission device which will provide an uninterrupted stream of critical data to the pilot's optical sensors. Now what would we call this wonderful thing? :rolleyes:

We have to apply the Jar Jar Binks theory to this issue...., just because something could be done, doesn't mean it is smart to do it......!

Latest resources

Back