Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Re: flight 5481

blzr said:
Did anyone else just see that ntsb q/a at the hanger. it was on CNN a few minutes ago. A reporter asked if he was concerned about the safety of the 1900. His response was, in my opinion, uncalled for. He said and I quote "We are concerned with the safety of all commuter planes". What's up with that? as I see it, there have been significantly more accidents and incidents with the majors. I just took it as a slap in the face to all of us that are overworked and underpaid. My condolences to all of you at air midwest.

You answer your own question. Of course the NTSB is concerned with the level of safety at the commuters. As you say, "overworked and underpaid". Or, if you prefer, "fatigued and financially struggling". I would agree with you, however, his comments were not exactly timed appropriately, but, then again, anything can and will happen when bureaucrats and the press get into a q&a session. This horrible accident obviously was NOT CAUSED by pilot error. Mechanical "failure" is apparent when one considers the eyewitness accounts and reviews the maintenance records. However, having said that, the pilot community needs to emphasize this point and DEMAND IMMEDIATE AID from their elected representatives to help alleviate the perpetuating crew fatigue and financial stressors associated with pilot's realization of their vocational dream job. Start writing everyone. If elected officials deem it prudent to "bail out" your company, doesn't it make sense (at least from a public safety standpoint) to "bail out" struggling aviators out there? Instead, bankruptcy judge orders UAL mechanics to sacrifice 17% of their salaries? Most are in the 15-20% federal bracket. That's like paying taxes twice! Huge slice of apple pie out of their American Dream.

That is all!

Latest resources

Back