• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

AIN Artical

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
5. Government and industry need to agree on a workable ratio of non-certified to certified personnel. Something along the lines of 6:1 or 7:1 might be appropriate. The requirements of those with oversight authority ought to be well established and reviewed regularly.

I don't go along with this notion. Where did they get the idea that certificated mechanics have any interest in being signature sources? I have no desire to sign for anyone elses work nor do I want to mentor or train, oversee or guide anyone else. I sign only for my own work - period.

I agree with you kcab, I certainly don't think it's right to expect a certificated mechanic to guide or sign off the work of someone who doesn't even hold an A&P. The sad part is that there are many maint. facilities these days who literally have more non-certificated people than they do A&P's. I think it's lowering the standard for the whole industry but most companies don't care, they would rather have the cheaper labor than attract and maintain quality individuals.Just my .02Cent

Great idea! I say we do the same with the pilots and the controllers too! How about only every 6th or 7th flight gets a certified pilot. The rest can be "overseen" by mangers that sit in offices all day.

A lot of it depends on the technician who is doing the work. I've seen people with A&P licences that I wouldn't trust to change the drive belt on a lawn mower, and repairmen that took great pride in their work, and did an outstanding job doing it.

When I had my shop, I supervised a lot of work, and bought it off by journeymen mechanics who were paying their dues to take the writtens, and no one got their feelings hurt when I made them re due safety wire, or re route something. It was understood that this was part of the learing curve.

agreed erj but I don't see this 6 or 7 to 1 ratio as having anything to do with guys 'paying their dues' and working towards licenses. It's just some beancounter's idea on how to get cheap labor. They aren't interested in those 6 or 7 getting certified, not ever. They want to keep the 7:1 ratio as a permanent condition - not as if it were temporary while getting their entire crew up to certificated staus (and pay). Something like that I would support.

Sad to say, but i make more as an auto mechanic than a guy just out of school with his A&P ticket in his pocket. I've tried the past couple of years to get hired on full time with a repair station or two, and i agree i'd go nuts too if i had to watch over and sign off some nitwits work ( never mind 7 of em!) but not everybody can afford school, and hands on may be the only way they have to go. I've worked with the A&P (IA) for my flight school, and i've learned alot so far, but i still have a ways to go. To me, anyway, it's all nuts and bolts, just a different form and function. The axe hanging over your head each time you sign a job off, yeah, thats bothersome, low pay sucks too, but i enjoy it now and in time i'll either make it full time, or not. There's always cars.... most of the A&P guys i've spoken to are disillusioned with the business, and if not for thier love of it, they'd be doing something else.

Latest resources

Back