• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Age 65

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Pilots have spoke up and when I was there so did I about a few Capts past their prime. The union didn't do anything about it. NJASAP is like the AARP because thats where the most dues are coming from.

Did you file an ASAP report? That'll get their attention. ;) It is common knowledge that Pro Standards at NJ is well beyond worthless. There are other means.

Did you file an ASAP report? That'll get their attention. ;) It is common knowledge that Pro Standards at NJ is well beyond worthless. There are other means.
Wow,
Tough talk from someone who hides in anonymity.
When one files the ASAP report, be sure to write you're acting on the advice from someone on an internet message board. That will really get "their" attention.
Tough talk from folks who won't take ownership of what they post on the union board.

Wow,
Tough talk from someone who hides in anonymity.
When one files the ASAP report, be sure to write you're acting on the advice from someone on an internet message board. That will really get "their" attention.
Tough talk from folks who won't take ownership of what they post on the union board.

Not sure why you think that's "tough talk"...unless you're in the Pro-Standards committee and took offense to my (very valid) assessment of it's effectiveness. If that hurt your feelings, well too bad...get over it. As for anonymity, myself as well as others have posted plenty of times on the company board with regard to filing ASAP reports as a means of documenting and eventually correcting crewmember performance at NJ. Facts are facts...no anonymity required. If Pro-Standards was worth two ********************s (and it isn't), then filing said report wouldn't be necessary.

Not sure why you think that's "tough talk"...unless you're in the Pro-Standards committee and took offense to my (very valid) assessment of it's effectiveness. If that hurt your feelings, well too bad...get over it. As for anonymity, myself as well as others have posted plenty of times on the company board with regard to filing ASAP reports as a means of documenting and eventually correcting crewmember performance at NJ. Facts are facts...no anonymity required. If Pro-Standards was worth two ********************s (and it isn't), then filing said report wouldn't be necessary.

Water down the effectiveness of a great safety mechanism to further one's own selfish interests.
Maybe pro standards handles issues in a fair and evenhanded manner.
Odds are they don't resolve things to everyone's satisfaction.
Oh yeah, the folks (tough talkers) on the union board you speak of, ran for cover when they were challenged.
So, they come here and hide.:rolleyes:

Last edited:
Pilots have spoke up and when I was there so did I about a few Capts past their prime. The union didn't do anything about it. NJASAP is like the AARP because thats where the most dues are coming from.

Actually, that's not accurate. The vast majority of our pilots are NOT all that old. Nice try at putting rhetoric in front of facts though.

Addressing the union not doing anything about it. What would you suggest they do? The union has no power in firing anyone, that's a power reserved for management. Unions can do a lot of good for a workforce. But they aren't a panacea for everything. In fact, the good they do does come with a few downsides too. Duty of Fair Representation is one of them. I highly doubt our union could go to bat to get a dues paying member fired without some very serious legal ramifications. Unions have a LEGAL OBLIGATION to protect even the weakest members. It is definitely a downside to a union. But sometimes you have to accept a little bad to obtain a lot of good.

Anyway, the union can't do much about a weak pilot, regardless of age. If you really feel someone is a safety risk, it is the company's responsibility to do something about it. If they won't take action, not seeing how that's a failure of the union. Pro standards has proven to be very effective in many cases. But with a weak pilot, what would you have them do? Tell the guy to retire? And if he doesn't? Should they report him to the company with second-hand info? Well, there's that whole tiny legal problem again of PROTECTING dues payers, not helping end their careers.

As I said, it's really the company's problem. Not everything can be, or should be, nailed down as a union problem. If it's truly a safety issue, use the ASAP program. Now it's the company AND FAA's problem. If the pilot really sucks, the problem may also be with the training facility that keep passing him(FSI). Or the instructor pilots who keep pushing him through the checks and/or IOE. And as others have said, maybe it's other pilot's fault for not reporting a weak pilot. A couple reports won't do much. It usually takes a bunch of reports to get action. And I've personally seen the company take action when they get enough complaints. Not sure why so many people want to lay all the problems at the feet of the union.

And to stay on the thread topic, this should apply across the spectrum to pilots of all ages, not just pilots of a certain advanced age.

Two more years and you can look forward to using illegal age discrimination to kick guys out of THEIR seats and take THEIR jobs. Notice I didn't say YOUR jobs...THEIR jobs.
Is that what you said to the guys who vacated a seat so that YOU could upgrade? Just curious. After all, it's not your seat, it actually belongs to 98 year old guy who was forced to retire in 1973... How dare you age descrminate against a guy born in 1913!!!

Given that YOU changed the rules for YOUR personal benefit and all that those behind you want it the exact same opportunity YOU had (before YOU took it away from them).....How do you call some one else the "entitlement generation" with a straight face?

Baby Boomers are a swarm of locust. They feel entitled to more than their parents had, and if they have to steal it from their own children, so be it.

They have left nothing but havoc in their wake and have the audacity to blame their children for the consequences of their actions.

Last edited:
Given that YOU changed the rules for YOUR personal benefit and all that those behind you want it the exact same opportunity YOU had (before YOU took it away from them).....How do you call some one else the "entitlement generation" with a straight face?

The fallacy of your argument is that I'm not over Age 60. Oops.

The other fact that the "Gimmes" forget is EVERYONE'S career advancement got pushed back 5 years. Of course EVERYONE'S career also got extended 5 years.

Even Hamburger's.

Latest resources

Back