• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Age 65

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Do you see 60 year olds pitching for the New York Yankees? Now come on, this is bull********************. If you're collecting Social Security and getting senior discounts at Wendy's, it's time to hang it up.

Do you see 60 year olds pitching for the New York Yankees? Now come on, this is bull********************. If you're collecting Social Security and getting senior discounts at Wendy's, it's time to hang it up.
right more of get the heck out of my seat, I am owed that seat that seat is my and I going to invent a reason to get you out of my seat.

right more of get the heck out of my seat, I am owed that seat that seat is my and I going to invent a reason to get you out of my seat.

Disgusting, but not unexpected.

After reading through all the post I see no one hit on a major problem that will affect us baby boomers. I fell into the age 66 rule before I can draw full social security. I'll need to wait until then so I have enough money for smokes and beer.

Someone mentioned the guy who was terrible at 65. What was he like at 55, or 50, or whatever? Did he suddenly get that way at 60 or 65? We all know people at all ages who are not exactly the "ace of the base" in skills and/or work ethic. If safety (or customer service) is the goal, we should be weeding these people out at any age instead of setting some arbitrary age to get rid of everyone. Won't happen. Nor will age 65 (or whatever) come to 135 or 91K, IMHO. This thread comes up about every 6 months. Nothing ever changes and no ones opinion is modified as a result.
Helm

Background so that folks understand that this isn't about me. I'm almost 52. I am a relative junior Captain at NetJets because I was hired at the end of the 2001-2002 hiring spree. Any forced retirements at 65 are not really going to help me out one bit as a big portion of our seniority list is younger than I am and are already senior to me. Also, I hope that I never have to worry about any mandatory retirement age because I want to be retired from this gig before it ever becomes an issue.

I have mixed feelings about the validity of the age 65 rule. Some guys I know do well after 65. Some others should have retired at 60. I guess if you had to pick an arbitrary age, 65 is as good as any other and better than most.

The one issue I have concerns the differentiation between part 121, 135, 91(k) and 91. I've long felt that most, if not all, safety related regulations need to apply equally regardless of the type of operation. The recent NPRM on fatigue was a perfect example. What difference does it make if the B-777 crew is rested and covered under excellent fatigue rules when the metroliner single-pilot 135 freight guy plows into them because he can't keep his eyes open?

I think that all safety related regulations should apply equally to any pilot exercising the commercial portion of his certificate. That way - rest, duty, training, mandatory retirement will apply equally to anyone making a living at flying.

That being said, I think that since part 121 has a mandatory age 65 rule, it should apply to all commercial flying.

Not going to happen Griz. At least not in the foreseeable future. Accept it. I wish I was not furloughed, but it is what it is. Wishing won't make it so.
Helm

Hell, I'm 35 and people are asking me when I'm going to retire!:D

Latest resources

Back