AFOQT Practice Test

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

chawbein

I just took my first practice test last night (ARCO bood) and I was looking at the number of questions I got right. In the Scale Reading, Block Counting, and Table Reading sections I got about half of the questions done and guessed on the other half giving about the same number of correct questions. It is difficult to guage what amount I should realisically be striving for (I know I should be striving for 100%), because of the way that scores are computed. Is this an average number based on those of you who have done practice tests on the AFOQT?

The first time you take the test may be your practice test. If you're not happy with your first results, take it again, and again...

Many have done that.

I took the AFOQT twice. The first time I didn't do too well - my scores were there in the middle of all averages. The second time (2yrs later) I didn't study as much, but had a heck more aeronautical knowledge. The sections you are asking about are all about speed and accuracy. I think they carry quite a bit of weight on the test - just because of the sheer number of questions in each section. I could never finish the scale reading section myself, but till the last second I was going for accuracy. Block reading should be a breeze - it's all abstract object manipulation. I can see how people having problems here can have trouble in the future with different aspects of instrument approaches. Table reading should be a breeze to anyone - get your desk organized and put your fingers to work (they don't allow rulers). I remeber getting ticked off during the test because it took me longer to move my head and bubble the answer than it took to match the coordinates on the actual question. Tables are all about speed and not getting lost in all the numbers you see. In all these three sections practice is the key. You can get so much better by flying through those questions a couple of times before you take the test - try to get the feel for the pace necessary to complete each section.

I agree with what you said about the table reading, my biggest time expenditures on the problem are marking the answer sheet (which is not conducive to marking quickly). I think the trick is to practice the time critical sections and build up speed. Block counting is not a real problem, I just got off pace, I think. My strategy for the scale reading was to get as many questions answered correctly as I could until 30 seconds left then I filled in the rest of the squares. Anyways, thanks for the insight.

One trick for table reading is to fold a piece of scratch paper and use it as a ruler to read along the table. I finished every questions that way, hehe my adrenaline was pumping when he called out 30 seconds left and I had a bunch more to do though.

TABLE READING

Hey, I took the AFOQT last week. Smoker was right about the table reading, just let the fingers fly!! Now is the hard part, waiting for the scores!

Latest resources

Back