Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

skydrvr

Its a race to the bottom
Latest news on ACA. Due to the retirement Of the J-41, pilots flying the J-41 will be displaced into the FRJ or CRJ. All aircraft (CRJ'S) that are on order all supposedly included. Also until what is to happen with United how ACA will conduct business there after is obviously unknown. So until this is resolved there is no definate answer as to when any cancelled class will resume. Sorry to all of you but that seems to be the way it is going to be. This is from a pretty relaible source.

Good Luck to all.

Thanks for the post...but...Reliable sources suck and who cares anymore anyway! Sorry, I am just tired of bad news...lets face it, without a lot of luck, ACA is going down.

PilotMonkey said:
Thanks for the post...but...Reliable sources suck and who cares anymore anyway! Sorry, I am just tired of bad news...lets face it, without a lot of luck, ACA is going down.

ACA does not now and will never need luck to survive. Why would you say something so rediculous. ACA needs United to be as big as it is, but they have never needed United to make money. In fact "making money" should be Skeen's middle name. They have low costs, a responsible pilot group, and good leadership. They may have tough times ahead if UAL falls, but there future is just fine. ACA has more cash on hand then all but two US airlines. They have the ability to expand rapidly if needed and they are still listed as a buy on every major stock traders website. After Feb. 28 we will see if ACA is free to expand or if they will need to restructure their future business. If they need to restructure then we will see ACA with some growing pains, but they will not fall.

cocknbull said:
ACA does not now and will never need luck to survive. Why would you say something so rediculous. ACA needs United to be as big as it is, but they have never needed United to make money. In fact "making money" should be Skeen's middle name. They have low costs, a responsible pilot group, and good leadership. They may have tough times ahead if UAL falls, but there future is just fine. ACA has more cash on hand then all but two US airlines. They have the ability to expand rapidly if needed and they are still listed as a buy on every major stock traders website. After Feb. 28 we will see if ACA is free to expand or if they will need to restructure their future business. If they need to restructure then we will see ACA with some growing pains, but they will not fall.

Good observations. I think our previous poster is just frustrated with the current situation as we all are. It's tough busting your tail to get somewhere and then, when it's in reach, it goes away. It's not going to be this way forever. Hang in there. Ziggy1

I have known people who where negative in the past about ACA and then when things were doing great we beg and plead for me to walk there resume in. I know one thing. I have a great memory.

TV
CRJ/FO
ACA

Hi!

From what I've read and experienced, ACA will NOT be affected negatively long-term if UAL goes Chapter 7.

Analysts say that the UAL feeders will be OK, as the demand for their services will continue whether they feed UAL or someone else. Their planes and routes will just be changed to feed another airline(s).

I was at TSA, who along with Corporate and Chautauqua were TWA Express. When AA bought TWA, they continued using all 3 to feed AA. In fact, Chautauqua and TSA have grown since AA picked them up.

Obviously, if UAL goes Chapter 7, there will be changes and turmoil in the short-term.

Also, I heard that ACA was hiring J41 guys through XMas of last year. I'm surprised that they are retiring them now. I thought they would have to wait as they couldn't get new DO-328s as Dornier was bankrupt?

Cliff
GRB

To add to skydrvr's info:

ACA right now only plans to acquire 2 more CRJs until the business plan with UAL is unveiled. So with the phase out of the J41 continuing, the #of spots to transition J41 pilots to the FRJ and CRJ has quickly dried up. ACA Alpa has feared that some of these pilots would be bumped to positions that their seniority should not put them in ie J41 capt to frj fo. The co. has said that it would have to hire about 50 pilots off the street or from the pool to be J41 FOs to cover the training bubble and in the process waste alot of money. These 50 would prob then be furloughed after the senior tranisitioning pilots completed training. So, as a fix, the co and the union have agreed to postpone the latest rolling bid and award until after UAL decides what ACA's future is in its business. I believe the date for the new award is April 11th with the new bid supposed to be posted Feb 8.

To those of you in the pool, I wish you the best and to keep the faith. If you really want to work only here, my advice would be to keep swimming but keep an open mind about other attractive opportunities. I guess if there is one bright spot, look at it as you will one day hopefully come to work for a company and be part of a pilot group with a smart ALPA leadership that is wise enough not to waste money and your time in a period in our industry where both are everything.

best wishes,
zk

I'm currently in the pool, around number 40 I think. I listened to the ACA confrence call the other day. I guess they will take deliever of all schedualed RJ's thru FEB.28. After that they plan to take them on a case by case basis untill UAL discloses its plan to emerge from CH.11.. Does anyone know if the Judge ruled on if UAL needs to disclose this info before FEB.28.. I heard they were to rule on this yesterday.

Judge ruling

Cocknbull, re: the judge. Note the next date of February 24. If I know lawyers they are going to delay as much as possible to get as much money as possible. The longer they are retained, the more money they get. The following from CBS newswire

Bankrupt UAL Corp., parent of United Airlines, said in a Thursday bankruptcy hearing it will pay $128 million in deferred lease payments on just over a quarter of its aircraft that were eligible for a 60-day grace period that's come to an end.

The bankrupt No. 2 airline was also granted a stay until Feb. 21 on two key issues relating to the State Street (STT: news, chart, profile) managed employee stock ownership plan's ability to sell company shares and objections by the flight attendant's union over executive compensation.

Atlantic Coast Airlines' (ACAI: news, chart, profile) was also granted a motion to formalize a Feb. 24 hearing on its relationship with United.

Judge Eugene Wedoff, who presides over the U.S. Bankruptcy Court of the Northern District of Illinois, approved United's decision to offer to pay aircraft lease holders less money in a move to cut costs. Some leases will also likely be broken as United streamlines its fleet.

Just what those new terms are won't be public after Wedoff granted United the ability to seal the new terms over the objections of aircraft owners who want the information made public.

"That strikes me as not an uncommon situation in the marketplace," Judge Wedoff said.

United said in the bankruptcy court hearing that it had 463 aircraft eligible for the postponed payments, permitted under the bankruptcy code. It will pay catch-up payments on 154 of the aircraft, most of which are the newer jets in its fleet. United owns 95 of its total 567 total aircraft.

For the leasing companies, the prospect of taking back more aircraft is unappealing when the number of jets parked out of circulation already is so high.

The airline is making arrangements with the rest of its lease holders as it fine tunes its restructuring plan.

At day's end, UAL (UAL: news, chart, profile) gave up 8 cents to $1.02.

On Wednesday, United rallied after that followed the latest information about the company's turnaround plan. See full story.

So far, bookings remain strong, said CFO Jake Brace. "Our cash situation has been quite good, as well," he said outside the hearing. Wage reductions, which have cut costs by $70 million a month, and the stronger bookings have helped keep the cash situation ahead of terms of United's debtor-in-possession financing.

Speaking of the proposed low-cost airline, Brace offered few details about how United might structure its routes. "In any event, we're not going to compete with ourselves," he said.

The next hearing is scheduled for Feb. 21. See Judge Wedoff's calendar.

Separately, there were no representatives from an ad-hoc creditors committee that had recently formed alongside the group created by the U.S. Trustee. Various lawyers said they believed the group had disbanded.

August Cole is spot news editor at CBS.MarketWatch.com in Chicago

I don't know from where all this incorrect information comes, but in regards to everything but the rolling bid being delayed (1-800-TAG-ALPA) and MGT along with the MEC try to figure out this mess, everything else is conjecture. ACA will not know where to stand until UAL tells us otherwise.

Anyway, I don't wanna go back to the right seat :(

Tailwinds...

Latest resources

Back