ACA RJ Emergency in GSO (info?)

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

Badger

CRJ (United Express) Departed 23, declared emergency, made downwind landing w/15 kts tailwind on rwy 05, trucks a rollin'

Whats-up? the landing almost looked as dangerous as anything with that ref+30 he had and addl. 15 kts. groundspeed.

Badger said:
CRJ (United Express) Departed 23, declared emergency, made downwind landing w/15 kts tailwind on rwy 05, trucks a rollin'

Whats-up? the landing almost looked as dangerous as anything with that ref+30 he had and addl. 15 kts. groundspeed.

Badger,

Nothing personal, but let's not do the Monday morning quarterback thing.

Obviously there was some sort of problem that necessitated being back on the ground immediately and the crew determined that the least risk involved returning to runway 5.

The "ref+30" speculation really drives me crazy. Did you happen to have landing performance data for the CRJ, along with the aircraft weight at the time of landing to make this determination, or the aircraft's actual airspeed? Didn't think so...

I realize that it was probably an exciting event to watch, but let's not make wild speculations or imply that the crew did something wrong based upon your observation from the taxiway.

KAK

Who gives a crap about tailwinds when you need to get it down quick Badger?

I'd hate for you to burn one into the trees while making sure your setting the ref speeds when your cabins on fire. Screw it. If you need it down, you get it down.

I was using a Cabin fire as an Example. I have no knowledge of what happened to Blue Ridge. Everyone lived, so I guess it was a successful day. Good job crew

I bet the FA reported seeing smoke in the cabin, which later on will be determined just beeing condensation.

or:

bet da **CENSORED****CENSORED****CENSORED****CENSORED** F-A reported spotin' puff in da cabin, which lata' on will be determined plum beein' condensashun

That's why the Captain has emergency authority. It allows him to break the rules when and where he see fit in the interest of safety. It is an outright acknowledgement that the rules (the book) can't forsee every situation.

Skank,

Thanks for filling us in, I'm sure no oher PIC's on this board never heard of that rule before.

DoWhatYouGottaDo.

I really don't have the facts on what his situation was. All I know is what I observed. An RJ cooking along, touching down almost 1/2 way down a 9K foot runway with a tailwind and obviously added speed for safety.

I was surprised when the trucks were immediately waved off. For my own knowledge, I just was curious in the nature of the emergency. No statement being made about the crew. They did their part as you didn't hear about it on CNN or a Fox news flash.

Be safe all, and drop a note if you get some info that would be helpful to the rest of us.

Badger,

I don't have any info on what might have happened, but you're missing the point people are trying to make here. I'm guessing you've never flown a CRJ, and even if you have, you couldn't tell if he was flying with "obviously added speed for safety." It's statements like that which you hear on TV that drive all of us in this profession crazy. The only possible facts you have are that this airplane landed with a tailwind, and possibly out of the touchdown zone. The CRJ has a very high ref speed anyway (no leading edge devices), so don't tell me you can tell if he was on speed. I don't mean any disrespect to you, but you need to have some professional courtesy. It's irresponsible statements like that which drive most of us crazy.

Best of luck finding out more info.

What happened is that the crew were 2 computer programmers who did not know how to fly and....just kidding! Thought I'd bleed that turnip for a few more...

I hope the plane was grounded, then the crew can stay at that nice hotel again. Good coffee.

Latest resources

Back