AA Engine Backfire out of ORD?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

A1FlyBoy

Several friends tell me they witnessed an AA flight climbing out from ORD this afternoon with flames from an engine. Sounds like a back fire...

Flight returned to ORD...

anyone have further details?

A1FlyBoy said:
Sounds like a back fire...
And I thought only piston engines could "backfire", silly me... :confused:

Sounds more like a compressor stall to me, but caused by what is yet to be determined... ;)

Last edited:
Dang, them birds musta planned this ahead, for a whole flock to go through only one engine and all.

The debris landed at a park just down the block from my inlaws. A lot of people reported the plane and I can imagine the thought seeing the planes engine explode and reign debris. I bet a lot of people thought they were watching a plane crashing.

I can only imagine what it felt like in those last few rows on the left side of the airplane... Especially after that DL MD-88 had the uncontained failure some years back and decapitated a few folks. I'd sure as hell need a new pair of Shorts.

Just another reason I don't like to sit in the Earplug Section on the -80.

T-Gates said:
I can only imagine what it felt like in those last few rows on the left side of the airplane... Especially after that DL MD-88 had the uncontained failure some years back and decapitated a few folks. I'd sure as hell need a new pair of Shorts.
Why would you need a new pair of Shorts? You thinking about logging DUAL or starting your own 121 operation?

Daley have anything to say about this one? or is he dead yet?

PS
What ever happened to Meigs?

Last edited:

Latest resources

Back