Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

91100 100 set

to the book
No, nothing to do with the new chief thief at USAirways...

It seems like the TSA has finally figured out that airline employees are not as much of a threat as they would like to think. For some time, since the whole "boarding pass" at the checkpoint thing, my domicile, SYR has required boarding passes for going through security, unless you're a badged employee wearing a uniform. So, if you're non-revving, jumpseating, heading down to training, getting your bid package or schedule, or just going to "hang out" in the crew room (yeah right), not in your monkey suit, you needed a boarding pass. Big hassle for an employee. And an insult. The ID badge representing employment and a background check isn't good enough, but the uniform that anybody could order from Sportys makes you okay. No longer. Good to hear.

I learned this in the process of going to and from my checkride yesterday and today, and I did a little asking around. It seems CLT never had this requirement in the first place. Wasn't the whole point of the TSA to standardize procedure across the country? So while it's good that procedures have changed in SYR, have they changed everywhere? Or was that a local decision made by some mid-level assistant regional director?

I think some of the problem is the person manning or "head TSA guy" at each checkpoint.

Some days in SYR you go right thru when not in uniform then some days their all over you.

And I'm truely sick and tired of them trying to make "small talk" when your on your way thru. Since when do they care how long I'm going away for or where I'm going, or what I fly. Leave me the heck alone.

Don't you get it?

Sorry to be the one to tell you this....
They're trying to smell your breath.
It's SOP for the TSA. Can you say
breathalyzer?

Eat onions

Farmer's right. They're trying to smell your breath for alcohol, which is not part of the TSA's directive.

I'm sorry, but there is still a 4th Amendment, notwithstanding 9/11. Unless a licensed law enforcement officer has "articulable suspicion" that I'm under the influence of alcohol (i.e. red eyes or coordination problems), then they are entitled to violate my personal space to investigate further. TSA agents are not law enforcement officers. When they talk to me, I ignore them and turn away.

Don't call me defensive, either. I have nothing to hide. I can have a good time on a trip without drinking so I don't generally drink at all on trips. I'm just insulted that I'm being surrepticiously screened every morning by some guy with a junior high school education under the guise of friendly small talk. I respect what they're doing, but it is not his job to smell my breath.

Get out of my face.

I'm just insulted that I'm being surrepticiously screened every morning by some guy with a junior high school education under the guise of friendly small talk. I respect what they're doing, but it is not his job to smell my breath.

Hey, he might have a GED!

Re: Don't you get it?

FlyingFarmer said:
Sorry to be the one to tell you this....
They're trying to smell your breath.
It's SOP for the TSA. Can you say
breathalyzer?

I disagree. Lear Love indicated that he was not in uniform. If you're not in uniform to operate a flight, I don't see how the TSA can stop you for having recently consumed alcohol.

I heard in Pittsburgh they are going to allow unticketed passengers through the checkpoint because the mall is struggling. So your ID should be all thats needed to get through.

Some of this is dictated by the Airlines.

In CVG a jumpseater was required to
go to the ticket counter before going
through security if they were not one
of the Delta/connection employees.

The same has been true in the
AA/Eagle stations. Non-revs
and jumpseaters were not issued
a boarding pass, but an iteniery of some
sort or a hand written "permission" slip
to show that they had business going
to the gate.

I was chanel surfing one day and came
across some kind of debate about airport
security on cspn. It seems that this
person we elected to represent his own
interests was upset that he had to get
screened when thousands of airport
employees (with SIDA badges) can bypass
screening.

What pissed me off was that this pompas
a$$ can have felony/s and or DUI(s) and
still hold a public position, any of which would
cost me my job, and he thinks he is less of
a security threat than I am...politicians...$hit!
I wonder how much classified material has
leaked out of his gin-soaked skull!

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back