• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

a silly question..

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
We don't. And in fact, I would probably never use that phrase (land long) b/c the moment you do, and then roll off the far end the runway, I will be implicated in your incident or accident b/c of bad phraseology.
Now having said that, if you're at ATL, simply don't plan on rolling long ever. We just don't have enough space behind you to accomodate this without the next guy going around. Everywhere else, I would recommend getting off the runway at the first available taxiway, unless youre instructed to exit at some other specific location. If you park at the far end of the runway and want to taxi to the end, ask for that pre-landing to see if there's room behind you to accomodate that action. But a land-long indicatyes to me that you're planning to leave runway behind you at where you plan to touch down - this is just dumb on all sorts of levels....unused runway is always a safety concern.

ATL,

Is there a consensus about catching the second high speed (skipping first one) on 26R to expedite down to the Victor Loop?

When I know we're going to get the Victor Loop I will plan on high speed #2 to shorten our taxi time. Plus, the amount of braking and reverse thrust is easier on the passengers.

I don't think this has ever been a problem, but since you mentioned something similar.

SM,
Use a little situational awareness. Know what's happening behind you. If you hear its gonna' be tight with the acft following you, and you're able to make that first highspeed....then help out. As you welll know a go around here at ATL, is like a short cross country - not only does it add risk to the flight, but it costs everyone time and money. Otherwise, the second highspeed, so long as you don't dilly-dally down the runway, is great!!
Thanks for asking.

First available, unless parking further down, then I'd request it. Never land long without advisement. A long unexpected rollout will jam things up behind you.

Thanks. That makes sense. There's many ways to have good situational awareness out there. Whether it be the guy behind you checking in with a DME distance or location over a fix, to the controllers announcing how far in trail somebody is, etc.

ATL seems to work well when everybody is clicking on the same page.

But a land-long indicatyes to me that you're planning to leave runway behind you at where you plan to touch down - this is just dumb on all sorts of levels....unused runway is always a safety concern.

Landing long is the only way to avoid the wake when you're in a smaller plane and come in fairly close behind a larger one.

I landed 26R the other day behind a 737, touched down about A6, turned off at Dixie straight into the ramp, spent about 20 seconds on the runway after approach at 150 kts to about 1 mile from the threshold.

I can understand your concern about suggesting a long landing as a controller -- you could end up getting blamed if a pilot screws it up.

Brett,
Most of us expect you to have a higher descent profile and a touchdown point farther down the runway than your preceeding larger aicraft - that goes without saying - I do not think the original point of "landing long" here (as indicated in the original thread) was to provide wake turbulence avoidance. I think the author was trying to indicate that he simply had to ask for a long landing if he wanted to exit the runway farther down. But yours is a great point. You would be surprised how many of the new ATCers do not understand this principle!!

ATL,

Is there a consensus about catching the second high speed (skipping first one) on 26R to expedite down to the Victor Loop?

When I know we're going to get the Victor Loop I will plan on high speed #2 to shorten our taxi time. Plus, the amount of braking and reverse thrust is easier on the passengers.

I don't think this has ever been a problem, but since you mentioned something similar.

I remember at ASA that the controllers in ATL expected ASA RJ's to exit at the 2nd highspeed. Couldn't quote a reference for that but that is what I was told at ASA - been gone a year so things may have changed.

Latest resources

Back