A couple more AirMidwest?s

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

Low & Slow

Can other Mesa equipment pilots out bid you on upgrade? Is it common?

When hired can you influence the equipment you want? I heard it was assigned on need. You may be hired in a class when they don't need any 1900 drivers.

Thanks

It has been happening where the Mesa jet and D-8 FO's will bid over to upgrade on the 1900D. Most of these FO's (about 75) have already done so and been awarded so it is becoming less of an issue. They are starting to upgrade the #980 out of 1250 FO's like me now.
This is because the 1900 CA's that were leaving AMW to go to the majors arent leaving anymore and they're bidding the Jet CA. Then the Jet FO's will bid CA 1900 because they cannot upgrade into the jet. Funny isnt it!
Right now my option is CA 1900 or CRJ FO. In fact a couple pilots junior to me have been awarded CRJ FO. I'm holding out for the PIC.

When hired it is based on need. However during their last hiring spree in 2000 until august 2001 they filled in alternating classes of D-8, 1900, ERJ, and CRJ . So I would speculate that they might ask you which a/c you prefer. 1900 you are going to get a hard line somewhere sooner and upgrade quicker. Jets pay more but you'll be on reserve for a long time, maybe a year or more..

I was hired by AMW during the 2000 rush...

Back then, upgrade was quick and usually did not cross aircraft. There were clauses in the contract that prevented a Jet FO to 1900 CA, most notably a seat lock.. Also the training contract that one must sign also stigmatized transitions by the senior guys until they had 4 years therefore avoiding the contract (this was when everyone was hiring!).

Since then, Mesa made the upgrade to the jet a little more difficult for the Dash and 1900 guys (additional requirements, letters of reference, personal interview as well as minimum times). All along Mesa was hiring like gang busters into the jet making the eventual upgrade even more competitive.

I have stayed in contact with several of my classmates and former captains. Most of my class mates (mid 2000) have either upgraded in the 1900 and then to the jet as a FO OR they went straight from 1900 FO to jet FO. Granted in just about every case it was almost 2 years before they got a jet FO position (and they are in the mid 700's in seniority). A few of my CA in the 1900 have made it to the jet but most have opted for the Dash as the lines are better.

During my time with the company... Usually the MAPD guys got the jet (automatic FO's for years!), 1500TT or better got the jet and the rest were divided up based on need to the Dash or 1900. Some MAPD classes got the 1900 but that was only during the shortage of 1900 drivers, again AMW was looking for guaranteed FO's for years. At the time when AMW was averaging upgrades less than 6 months Mesa did offer a 1900 to higher time guys who could upgrade immediately.

I agree with JETDRIVEN that the ability to hold a hard line is better in the 1900, but the QOL might me better in the jet. 1900's are based at small outstations and getting to and from can be a challenge (unless you live there). Most 1900 junior hard liners average about 10-12 days off and you will lose a few days in commuting. The Jet's are based at hubs and commuting is a lot easier, the 1900's based at hubs are almost all reserve unless your senior so it really is no better than a jet reserve position other than for the pay.

Don't know much about the Dash as it use to be mostly a western base but now with CLT I would guess JETDRIVEN could better answer that question...

My question to JETDRIVEN or any MESA or CCAIR pilot... Did JO move the Dash's to CLT to "remove" CCAIR or was it to squash PDT in CLT?

DHC-8 bases used to be only out west. Now we have a base in CLT (not after nov. 4th) and MIA, and TPA are coming on after nov. 4th. JO put 5 DHC-8's in CLT to "replace" CCA flying. Also put 5 1900D's from AMW there in CLT. Then PDT announced that they are pulling out of florida and they are assuming most of the CLT hub flying. So the MESA DHC-8 will probably go to florida. all 5.
CCAIR wasa done for anyway. All JO wished to do was get a terrible contract out of them to use as leverage against us. thank god Duane Woerth has the foresight to see this coming. The MESA MEC will accept no section six proposal which doesnt address the MES-AMW-CCA pilots as one group. Its going to be a long flight.

How is the DHC-8 flying going to impact the 1900? 1900's last I remember ran a lot of locations the PDT DHC-8 did as well. Is JO going to squeeze AMW out of some FL flying?

I agree... CCA was done for a while ago, and I thought they had a "better" contract than MESA/AMW had. I assume the DHC-8's he is using are the old CCA aircraft...

Personally, I hope you take JO for all that you deserve. It's been a long road for many MESA (and AMW) people...
It's too bad CCA did not join senority lists a few years ago...

Latest resources

Back