737Type and MS FS2002

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

milflyboy

Are there any good downloads for microsoft Flight Simulator 2002 that you can benefit from when prepping for a 737-2/300 type?

Thanks !!! - What about flows? Is it good for that sort of thing?

I still have a little over a month before going to HPA for my type.

Look at the "Cockpit Companion" by Bill Bulfer (around $35) or the "Cockpit Review" by Canova Aviation. Each will assist you in the oral and system knowledge. The specific flows and flying will be taught at the training center you go to. You should (IMHO) spend much more time on the system review than practice in the MS Flight Sim.

JAFI

The FlightSim -200 is really only good for getting used to the scan and playing with the FD/Autopilot. I wouldn't spend a lot of time messing with it just as JAFI said. If you have a laptop you can take the -200 sim with you and play with it while you are in the second week. Trust me, it isn't necessary AT ALL and you will pass without it.

Funny, I didn't even think they would let me use the autopilot for the type rating.

I do have the "Cockpit Companion", but actually prefer just reading the manual. It is nice to get a different perspective on some of the systems and that is mostly what I have used the "Cockpit Companion" for.
I bet the "Cockpit Companion" is very usefull in the cockpit, but I doubt they let us use it for the type

You will not be allowed to use "The Companion" for the type ride. Trust me, you will be too busy to do any reading during the exam. You should already have enough knowledge to pass the oral exam prior to the sim part.

The ability to use auto pilot and any other automation is VERY important for a transport catagory type ride. My sugestion is USE EVERYTHING that will help you untill the examiner tells you to turn it off. You are required by PTS to conduct one single engine ILS that is hand flown, other than that I use the autopilot for the rest of the ride. If you keep the aircraft in trim the autopilot will work just fine even single engine.

Correct Rudder use will save you or kill you with the V1 cuts. Do not use the yoke to correct drift during V1 cuts, especally in the 737. When you turn the yoke past 15 degrees the aircraft will deploy the speed brakes on one wing to "help" in the turn. If you are slow when this happens, you will only get slower. Always try to stay around 10 knots faster during Single engine work to keep from getting too slow. It is easy to slow down, it takes some time to gain any lost speed. I think you will see much more yaw than you saw in the Tweet.

Good luck in the ride.

JAFI

For what it's worth a hand flown non precision approach is also required as well as an ILS using the autopilot.

Best of luck

Jim, you are correct. I did not give the entire PTS list, and there are waiverable parts listed in the front of the PTS depending on where you take the exam and who for. It can get complicated to make sure everything is covered in the exam.

JAFI

I didn't mean to be a nit picker, just wanted to mention the hand flown vs. autopilot requirements. My guys do this for a living, so I am just tend to have to be that way.

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back