• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

737 vs. 717

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Ok, I guess I should be more spacific. What are the Pro's and Con's of tail mounted engines as opposed to wing mounted? Seems wings are dominating by far...

Spoke with some TWA cabin crew's, they hated it, noisy in the back (717), a kink in the aisle.

Noisy in the back, for sure.

PhatAJ2008 said:
What are the Pro's and Con's of tail mounted engines as opposed to wing mounted? Seems wings are dominating by far...

I've never ridden on a 717, but it's a pretty sweet ride in the front of an MD80. Nice and quiet.

Rear mounted engines have to cope with a lot of stuff gettin' thrown at them from the main gear and even the wings (ice).

Not only that, but rear mounted engines require a T-tail. Not all designers like the T-tail because of the loads imparted to the Vertical Stab.

And then ya got fuel lines running back under the cabin...

It's all give and take.

urflyingme?! said:
The 717 was put out much much later than the 737... right?

The 717 is just an upgrade of the original circa 1960's DC9.

717 (DC-9-95) has a short range and a low number of seats when compared to the 737NG. That and the new EMB's spelled the end of the line for the DC-9. Douglas elected to put the engines on the tail to allow a lower ground clearance so the belly baggage pits could be accessed without handling equipment.

The 717 is a great airplane. It is cheaper to acquire than the 737 but so many people have 737's that few bit on it. It's too close in size to the RJ's that a lot of airlines figured they didn't need a 100-115 seat plane (at the time) and they would rather fly two RJ's on a route than one 717. Throw in 9/11 and that's it.

It has the cockpit of the MD11 and the simplicity of the DC9. It's very fuel effecient and the engines are virtually indestructable.

It's quiet up front and has air conditioning that could freeze you solid. The seats suck in both coach and FC. I don't know what the deal is but that was true on both TWA and AirTran. It is noisy on the ground in the rear of the aircraft but it gets better in the air.

As my user name implies, I loved the 717. I would have gladly flown it the rest of my career. The guys at AT and MidEx are lucky to have the opportunity. Enjoy.TC

2000flyer said:
The 717 is just an upgrade of the original circa 1960's DC9.

And the 73NG is just an upgrade of the original 1960's 737 . . . . so, what's your point?

I've flown 'em both, and they're both great airplanes. The 717 is the more technologically advanced of the two, is quieter up front, and has a lot of pilot-friendly features (although the flight deck seats are not one of them). I would rather autoland a 717 in 600 RVR any day, that's for sure.

The 737 is a nicer-flying airplane, in my opinion (it flys like a big ol' Falcon 20, but with much more thrust). It is too bad that Boeing didn't incorporate more of the 717's features into the 73NG . . .

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back