Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

91100 100 set

to the book
Okay, so far nobody I have ever flown with has known the answer to this question. You know when you're sitting behind a 737 on the taxiway, and it looks "crooked", like it's always sitting at an angle, with the tail a few feet off the centerline even when they are rolling with the nosegear on the centerline? Why is that? I once heard a theory that the main gear trucks have a small amount of castor built into them. This kinda sounds like it could make sense to ease the sideload if you touchdown a bit crooked in a crosswind (can't drop the wing much and not scrape anything), but I mentioned this a guy who "was typed in the airplane" and he didn't know anything about it.

So whats the story?

Slight caster to the main gear. Just like you said, regarding crosswind correction.

I was told that the small amount of castering is built into the mains for the autoland system in a crosswind. Then, once it is down it holds that position until the weight comes off them again.

When I got my type rating, that was one of the first questions I asked. I had noticed for years that there is definitely a crab if you are looking at the B-737 from behind during taxi.

The interesting thing is that nobody I asked knew the answer, and our manuals make NO reference to this anomaly.

My personal opinion is that the theory mentioned above regarding a slight castor for crosswind autolands is the correct answer.

The B-717 will use the rudder to "ALIGN" during an autoland, therefore taking out the crab prior to touchdown. This is one of several features that allows the B-717 to be certified to perform single engine autolands, which we do at AirTran on the B-717.

The B-737 apparently could have this capability installed, but we do not have single engine autoland capability or certification on our AirTran B-737 aircraft, and don't know anyone else that does. Our manual simply states that in a normal (two engine) autoland, that a crosswind crab is normal and we are to "kick" this crab out when the autopilot disconnects on landing. It further states that the landing gear is capable of sustaining this crab... thus my unverified opinion regarding a slight castoring landing gear theory.

One final note... on the B-717, the aircraft "attempted" to track the localizer centerline on touchdown, however, on the B-737, when the autopilot disconnects after touchdown in a stiff crosswind, you really have to be proactive because it is NOT tracking the localizer centerline and you're very quickly "off to the races" in either direction.

Having transitioned from the B-717 to the B-737, I found that quite unusual at first.

Last edited:
LOL!! I guess I should have worded that a little different!

The correct wording should be "which we are "authorized" single engine autolands at AirTran on the B-717".

I guess my budding career as a PR person is over before it started!

I know the exact answer to the question but it is imbedded deep into my harddrive. Midnight tonight it will come out. I know it is only on the 300/400/500/600 the 700/800 do not have the same gear.

AA's HUD 737's (and I think most HUD 73's) are authorized CATIII to normal minima. Of course these aren't autolands but the effect is the same, get it down SE in crappy weather.

Odd on the castor thing, I've never noticed it. Now I'll need to look for it.

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back