7 on 7 off...

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

AJL5236

Looking for some feedback on the 7 on 7 off schedule or similar schedules for the fractionals. Do most of the pilots like it, dread it, tolerate it etc. How is the QOL, family life etc. Thank you for the info.

AJL5236 said:
Looking for some feedback on the 7 on 7 off schedule or similar schedules for the fractionals. Do most of the pilots like it, dread it, tolerate it etc. How is the QOL, family life etc. Thank you for the info.

I've heard good and bad things about that schedule from NJA friends. Although imagine if you take one week off during a particular month - you could conceivably have 3 weeks off in a row... Not bad. I've heard that after 7 days at home, you are ready to fly again and vice versa - you're pretty beat up after 7 days on the road.

Keep in mind that at NJA, the fleet you are on can determine how hard you work during those 7 days. The X and Excel fleets work pretty hard (because those fleets are the most popular with owners and have the most aircraft) while the Beechjet and Hawker fleets evidently work less hard.

at avantair, we have a 7.5/6.5 (which is really a 8/6) and I love it

we are (they say) working toward a real 7/7

it is enough time to be able to go somewhere and still be home long enough to get stuff done around the house

my wife and kid sometimes don't love it as much as I do, usually around the 5th day the stress at home rises and . . .

Most other pilots I talk to love it. I like it too, but it's not good with a family. My wife starts going nuts with our little ones on about day 5 away. Luckily I can relieve her when I get home for 7 days, but it's still tough on her.

I just started the 7/7 schedule at the beginning of Jan. I'd previously been on the 17-day schedule. So far, it's been a good schedule. On the 17-day schedule, most of my tours were either 5 or 6 days long, so going out for 7 days was that drastic of a change. And it sure is nice to be home for a full week. I can imagine that it would be a fairly tough schedule for pilots with families but my wife and I don't have children, so she's been able to adapt fairly easily.

Interestingly, my first-ever 7-day tour ended up being an 8-day tour because the company couldn't return me by midnight on my 7th day. It's nice to get a big payment for that sort of situation.

7 days away sucks.... 7 days away from work rocks!

My solution? I got a pair of Webcams so My little one can see daddy even though he is away on the airplane.

It is a much better life than the 17 day schedule I have had previously, and with a little adjusting my wife will like it too, she sees that it is truly better being home a seven straight days.

Going out for 7 days SUCKS!

But, one week of vacation in march, and I only work 7 days!!! Sweet.

HiSpeedFlyer said:
7 days away sucks.... 7 days away from work rocks!

My solution? I got a pair of Webcams so My little one can see daddy even though he is away on the airplane.

I love the 7/7. Webcam is awesome too, I use it with my 2 kids, makes you feel at home.

7/7 is nice as well, becuase you know your sched. for the whole year, not worrying about bidding every month.

Latest resources

Back