61.55 SIC checkout

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

ROSWELL41

I have read the requirements of 61.55. Could anyone describe their experiences fulfilling these requirements in an 'in-house' (in actual aircraft) training environment? How much time did you spend on the ground training and how long was the flight portion of the training?

ROSWELL41 said:
I have read the requirements of 61.55. Could anyone describe their experiences fulfilling these requirements in an 'in-house' (in actual aircraft) training environment? How much time did you spend on the ground training and how long was the flight portion of the training?

I went to the FSDO and met with our POI. I brought him my training records from a 121 airline. He typed me up a 8710 which included a SIC type rating. Walked away with a temporary. Pretty quick and easy.

I typed my 8710 and showed the FAA my signoff and gave him the 8710. I got a temporary in return. Painless.

Well, we covered all the systems, and I was in the airplane for 40 hours before I got the signoff (remember boys and girls, the B350 is a single-pilot airplane as long as the PIC doesn't have a limitation requiring a SIC; it is an aftermarket add on of folding seats that makes the seating capacity greater than 9, which makes it require a SIC). We kept the two folding seats up and placarded as unusable while I got the hang of the airplane. We did the required training by 61.55 on empty legs. Hope this helps.

Thanks for the reply. Am I correct in my interpretation that it does not say anywhere in 61.55 that the training has to be done in any certain number of flights? Also, was the captain who signed your paperwork a MEI? From what I have read, all the person signing the paperwork has to be is a qualified type rated PIC OR MEI with appropriate type ratings. Thanks again.

ROSWELL41 said:
Thanks for the reply. Am I correct in my interpretation that it does not say anywhere in 61.55 that the training has to be done in any certain number of flights? Also, was the captain who signed your paperwork a MEI? From what I have read, all the person signing the paperwork has to be is a qualified type rated PIC OR MEI with appropriate type ratings. Thanks again.

It doesn't say that it has to be done in any number of flights. I probably wouldn't have even gotten it done if I wouldn't have pushed. For those flights where a qualified SIC was required (back two seats available for use) they would just put two type rated guys in the airplane. After my pushing, they did the training. Then they didn't have to use two typed guys for those trips. The captain was not an MEI.

Latest resources

Back