• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

50 nm from shore

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
WTF bite me. I didn't know the rule the poster was posting about so I asked a question.

So what is it like living where you are only allowed to know things that pertain directly to your job? It must be pretty boring where you are.

If your driving around some weather you can break the 50nm rule.

Any idea where I can reference this?

Thanks!

Well the ASA flight operations manual in reference to overwater operations says:

"the crews may not deviate outside the limits described except to the extent necessary to maintain the safe operation of the flight(e.g. thunderstorms)"

I'm not sure if this is a Far or anything, I just think its our company policy. But its just common sense! If your flying along and you are approaching a T-storm what are you to do. "lets go though it so we don't fly more then 50 miles from shore????" What do you think is more hazardous, penetrating a cell or flying more then 50nm from the shoreline!

Well, I guess I knew the answer then. I knew the 50 nm rule for a life raft but since the original post asked "Do controllers know if a flight is authorized for flight over water beyond 50 nm (121)?" I assumed there must be some more ominous reason such as some vague ADIZ rule or something. They wouldn't know if you had a liferaft onboard or not unless you told them.

Whether you told them officially or not if you had a life raft on board would depend on what type of flight plan you filed. An ICAO flt plan would have that info but an FAA flt plan wouldn't.

When our 700's are dispached over water up to 162nm they will have a OW1 before the filed flight plan on the dispach release letting the crews and I believe ATC know they are being dispached for extended over water operations

Latest resources

Back