• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

2 in 1 seat, the double belt rule.

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
These posts show why the FARS are too confusing. Everyone has a different opinion, even with a faa interpretation.
So here is my question to you guys. What would you do?

The CEO shows up with 9 people to fly home on his 8 person Lear 40. Two of the them are 13 year old girls whose combine wieght is 165 lbs. Do you go or not?

Last edited:
pilotviolin said:
These posts show why the FARS are too confusing. Everyone has a different opinion, even with a faa interpretation.
So here is my question to you guys. What would you do?

The CEO shows up with 9 people to fly home on his 8 person Lear 40. Two of the them are 13 year old girls whose combine wieght is 165 lbs. Do you go or not?

Does the boss know that it would be a violation of the FARs? Does the boss know that an intentional violation would likely have an impact on insurance coverage if things go wrong? Does the boss know that he or she is hanging the crew out to dry if they carry more passengers (other than children less than two years old) than installed seat belts and O2 masks? It's the crew's responsibility to educate bosses before refusing to engage in scenarios such as this.

My favorate was when (I was working as a CFI) my boss (private pilot certificate) told me to do a Part 91 Charter. I told her "there is no such thing as a Part 91 charter". She says "yes there is, we do it all the time. It is a charter when you do not have a 135 certificate.". I said, "then you can do this one with out me". I left for better employment, and she got someone to do the "Part 91 Charter".

JAFI

As to your current boss, this use to work for me:

"I'm not sure about this regulation/leagal issue, I will just call the FSDO and ask them".... You know I never had to make that call. Chief Pilot, Director of Maintenance and Operations all different times, just walked away. Good Luck.

Latest resources

Back