Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

ajhbubs84

Oh, that's my manpon
I have recently discovered an opportunity with a 135 outfit in Alaska. I have heard some differing opinions about flying in Alaska, and am in the process of doing a little research. If anyone has this kind of experience and would like to share a story or an opinion I would appreciate it. From what I know, most of the operations are done VFR in the, flat, western portion of the state.

Bethel? King Salmon? Dillingham?

Some of the most memorable hours in my logbook were in Alaska, it's certainly a place like no other.

You will fly lots, you will learn a lot too. Some of it good, some you will need to forget before (if?) you move on to the next thing.

You won't be staying in the Hilton (or the Holiday Inn for that matter...).

You may develop a drinking problem, many do.

Your definition of VFR might change a bit. Remember, VFR and VMC are not one in the same!

Any specific questions?

Bethel? King Salmon? Dillingham?

Some of the most memorable hours in my logbook were in Alaska, it's certainly a place like no other.

You will fly lots, you will learn a lot too. Some of it good, some you will need to forget before (if?) you move on to the next thing.

You won't be staying in the Hilton (or the Holiday Inn for that matter...).

You may develop a drinking problem, many do.

Your definition of VFR might change a bit. Remember, VFR and VMC are not one in the same!

Any specific questions?

What he said!!

I flew Southeast......Not Flat!!! But warmer....and wetter! I almost didn't leave. It's blue colar flying........if you ever move on you'll most likely have a low tollerance for much of the b@#ching you see on this sight and in our industry. Get weathered in on a beach once in the winter and a Motel 6 will always feel like the Four Seasons. Let us know who your thinking of flying for. The experience will be what you make of it, so dont be turned off by a few bad seeds bad mouthing you potential employer. Try to find someone here who has been where you want to go and listen carefuly. Unless your dont like getting dirty....go do it!

It's blue colar flying........

Blue colar flying is music to my ears. It is what I am doing now, and cant really imagine it any other way. Maybe some day I will make the jump with to something with a little more flare, but right now, this is for me.

Nothing is set in stone yet, but I just had a student come down to fast track through his private license and he happened to be an A&P for this Alaskan operation. He told me they are looking for a couple good pilots. Well he passed and left with a big smile on his face. There is definitley going to be a good word put in, along with my resume.

I have my fingers crossed.....

What company are you looking into? I have been working out in western alaska for about 2 years now, and it has been some great flying. I work 2 wks on 2 wks off in Bethel. Over the past 2 years I have spent time all over the western side of the state from Kotzbue to the YK Delta.

One thing I would suggest if you are really interested in flying up here is get a list of operators that you are interested in, and come up here and get some face to face contacts with these companies. I had low hrs and tried for a year to get up here, until I finally just came up and handed in a few resumes and met some people. Flyalaska.net is a great resouce for most all of the Alaska carriers. It lists the companies mins., who to contact and where there bases are.

I know our company is going through alot of growth right now and we are always looking for a few pilots. Hiring of guys without Alaska experience happens, but usually once our 6-7 months of winter are over. Right now would be a good time to get a resume in and get up here to talk to the cheif pilot of several operators, with the plan of getting on with somebody early in the spring. Our company tends to hire guys without alaska experience, with somewhere between 1200-1500 hrs. You start out in the C207 in one of 5 bases (Bethel,St.Marys,Aniak,Unlakleet or Kotzbue) Guys can get hired on with less, but typically start as a co-pilot in one of our caravans for six months to a year (unless you have Alaska experience).

I am curiuous we had an A&P that went down south to get his PPL a couple of weeks ago, just wondering if it might be the same guy. Good luck with your search. Western Alaska is a great place to fly if you enjoy the outdoors and living atleast partime out in one of the outstations for
2 wks to 20 Days a month.

Best flying ever!!!!!!!!!!

DO NOT PASS IT UP.

As noted above. Hagelands would be a good company to get on with.

I grew up in western AK and began my flying career there. Left 22 years ago and have flown many places since. I've enjoyed all my flying jobs but there's no doubt that the Alaska flying was the most pure fun. (Also the biggest scares!)

I believe that the weather experience and precision required during t/o & landing phase (short runways, narrow runways, icy runways, no runways, no approach, no lighting, etc) gave me some great fundamental skills that have served me well throughout my career.

Bethel and the North Slope are relatively "flat" but that doesn't necesarily translate into safe or easy flying. The years I lived there CFIT was by far the most common accident and happened several times per year in that region. The poster who mentioned the difference between VFR and VMC is right on, too. An approach to Cape Romanzoff or Gambell in whiteout, dim light & 500/1 was legal VFR but you better know what you're doing. In my recollections, the bad weather days outnumbered the good days on the west coast.

I know that some of my observations could be pretty "dated". There have been tremendous improvments in aircraft, avionics, navaids and airports since I worked there.

Great flying and great times

I spent a couple years in W Alaska as well, starting to wonder why I left there.... (maybe 'cuz the Carib is a little warmer). It was a very good experience, flying at its best no doubt. :D

If you need any specific details or ideas, feel free to PM me.

Bethel and surrounding villages are just about the nastiest, ugliest places I have ever been. Its a lot of fun though.

This is not the time to go up there but...

Buy some bunny boots from the surplus store in ANC. Buy some neoprene gloves and some flannel "Green Ape" gloves to go over them. Get a good hat, good insulated coveralls and a good parka. Hooded sweat shirts (thickest you can find) and thermal underwear. Flannel lined denim pants are good too. Get a small, good quality backpack to carry your stuff in. A Stanley thermos is good to have too.

Don't wait till you get out in the bush to buy that stuff cause it's expensive enough in ANC and costs twice out there.

When the crawly things on the back of your neck go off you are doing something wrong.

It can be very rewarding. Very spooky too...landing on a 35 foot wide by 1400 long skating rink in a 30 kt crosswind will tend to sort things out for you, though I understand that most of the runways are better than when I was in the Great Land.

One of the last places where it is real flying-just the pilot and the machine. No radar, flying around on the inside of a ping pong ball and you don't know if it is ten or one tenth of a mile in diameter.

Feds tend not to show up when it is less than -20 or -25 F...at least not very often.

The 207 is a great machine but there are several reasons they call it the sled...I got so I really prefered the 206. If you get stuck in a 172 for a while, don't whine...the freight will unload it's own self (you'll figure it out)...

Don't ever, ever take off unless you yourself have checked the doors and made sure the belts are inside and that aft door is locked on the 206/7...yourself-from the outside!

Pay attention when someone tries to tell you something-it might save your life and nothing you have ever done can prepare you for being there except being there...

Some days I still miss it...at least the good days...

be really fracking careful!

And stay away from the native women...put your time in and if you want to stay up there get friendly with some NAC crews-they are your lifeline to the outside anyway...and driving a DC-6 wouldn't be that bad of a gig!

Last edited:

Latest resources

Back