Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Friendliest aviation Ccmmunity on the web
  • Modern site for PC's, Phones, Tablets - no 3rd party apps required
  • Ask questions, help others, promote aviation
  • Share the passion for aviation
  • Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

135.265 vs. .267 How come not everybody?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

goodgig

With the huge thread on duty time, I wonder why it is that most operators do not elect to comply with 135.265 over 135.267? (Sorry for posting also in the duty time thread)
If an operator wants to do this, it only requires an amendment to the ops specs (135.261 (b)(2).

Then the operator gets to use pilots for an extra hour or two, making possible 16 hour duty days.

Or am I jumping the gun, and most operators DO in fact elect to run with 135.265?

With the huge thread on duty time, I wonder why it is that most operators do not elect to comply with 135.265 over 135.267? (Sorry for posting also in the duty time thread)
If an operator wants to do this, it only requires an amendment to the ops specs (135.261 (b)(2).

Then the operator gets to use pilots for an extra hour or two, making possible 16 hour duty days.

Or am I jumping the gun, and most operators DO in fact elect to run with 135.265?

A "Scheduled" 135 operator is hard to find. Most are cargo. You'll find that even most cargo are considered "Unscheduled" even if they fly the same routes every day.

A "Scheduled" 135 operator is hard to find. Most are cargo. You'll find that even most cargo are considered "Unscheduled" even if they fly the same routes every day.

You've missed the point... unscheduled operators have the choice to comply with the rest requirements prescribed for scheduled operators. Look up 125.261 (b)(2).

For many operators that would be a good choice... it gives you the choice to extend a duty day past 14 hours with compensatory rest.

My point exactly. It seems to me that this would be the way to go from an operators point of view. Makes for some long a$$ days sometimes for the pilots. I just find it curious that most people are debating the .267 rules when they can be more easily abused using .265.
The ops spec is AO33.

All it does is delay the inevitable rest requirement...and push the next day's flying back a couple of hours. It doesn't "give" you anything.

It also limits calendar flight time in ways that would not be beneficial to a lot of operators.

Fly safe!

David

But you also have to give them a day off every week, instead of 13 per quarter...

It's all a tradeoff...you get one advantage, and give up another. In general, on-demand operations are better off with unscheduled duty time limitations unless they're a fairly large operation since, with the exception of the length of duty day, there is more flexibility in assigning trips.

Fly safe!

David

Latest resources

Back