1261 days to go!

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Andy,

Hiring and recalls obviously are affected by the age change. 65 didn't overstaff anyone overnight and I missed the announcements of widespread hiring to coincide with resumption of age related forced retirements.

That's because instead of massive hiring, it's been massive RECALLS.
United and American have been doing tons of recalls.
Delta's senior pilots retired just before bankruptcy so they don't have the same number of retirements.

United is hiring as many pilots as they can and will still be critically understaffed this summer.

The reason you haven't noticed is because you simply haven't been watching.

That's because instead of massive hiring, it's been massive RECALLS.
United and American have been doing tons of recalls.
Delta's senior pilots retired just before bankruptcy so they don't have the same number of retirements.

United is hiring as many pilots as they can and will still be critically understaffed this summer.

The reason you haven't noticed is because you simply haven't been watching.
and soon we will run out of recalls, will interesting to watch.

FBM,

Which airline furloughed due to age 65? I know of none. Plenty of career advancement was stagnated, and age 65 was a contributor. Recession, poor management, poorly concieved contracts were probably greater contributors.

Andy,

Hiring and recalls obviously are affected by the age change. 65 didn't overstaff anyone overnight and I missed the announcements of widespread hiring to coincide with resumption of age related forced retirements.

You have this issue completely backwards. Bad management and recessions have always happened and always will. The hedge we had as a profession against that sort of thing was an evenly applied mandatory retirement age. It was a sort of promise we made to each other. You were one of those pilots who broke that promise. If it had to change [fib], then it should have been honored to the maximum extent possible so as to not cause furloughs. But again, that was something pilots like you didn't care about. And apparently, you still don't understand it. Of course, I'm pretty sure you're just typing the stuff you want to believe. You aren't that dumb.

You have this issue completely backwards. Bad management and recessions have always happened and always will.
You did not mention majority rule, what a majority of the pilots want sets how a union will go on an issue. Senior pilots run the unions, so it went with things that senior pilots like.

You have this issue completely backwards. Bad management and recessions have always happened and always will. The hedge we had as a profession against that sort of thing was an evenly applied mandatory retirement age. It was a sort of promise we made to each other. You were one of those pilots who broke that promise. If it had to change [fib], then it should have been honored to the maximum extent possible so as to not cause furloughs. But again, that was something pilots like you didn't care about. And apparently, you still don't understand it. Of course, I'm pretty sure you're just typing the stuff you want to believe. You aren't that dumb.

Flops sometimes you crack me up....Do you know this guy personally cause you sure write like you do. Same sort of thing you have done to me in the past. "Sort of promise we made to each other"??????When??
65 stagnated us all. Shrinking airlines got us furloughed. Can't wait to hear your response written like we are next door neighbors and have known each other for years.

You did not mention majority rule, what a majority of the pilots want sets how a union will go on an issue. Senior pilots run the unions, so it went with things that senior pilots like.

None of us who wanted the retirement age to remain 60 would have feared a majority rule, or collective bargained outcome, on the issue. Three times we (the majority) said don't change it.

Flops sometimes you crack me up....Do you know this guy personally cause you sure write like you do. Same sort of thing you have done to me in the past. "Sort of promise we made to each other"??????When??
65 stagnated us all. Shrinking airlines got us furloughed. Can't wait to hear your response written like we are next door neighbors and have known each other for years.

65 gave the top 20% (or so) another million or so dollars, and it furloughed the bottom 20%. Do you think a union could have gotten a membership to vote in favor of that? No, that's not what unions, or any group of professionals, would do. However, that's exactly why senior pilots did what they did. (went outside the collective bargaining process) When other pilots and Frank Lorenzo went outside the collective bargaining process and damaged your career, you weren't too happy about it, were you? In fact, we all still have to hear about that from you guys. You don't want anyone to forget what was done to you and who did it. Yet guys like you seem content to forget about what happens to others?! Yeah, I feel like I know you guys, but I also feel like not knowing you personally, is no big loss.

None of us who wanted the retirement age to remain 60 would have feared a majority rule, or collective bargained outcome, on the issue. Three times we (the majority) said don't change it.

65 gave the top 20% (or so) another million or so dollars, and it furloughed the bottom 20%. Do you think a union could have gotten a membership to vote in favor of that? No, that's not what unions, or any group of professionals, would do. However, that's exactly why senior pilots did what they did. (went outside the collective bargaining process) When other pilots and Frank Lorenzo went outside the collective bargaining process and damaged your career, you weren't too happy about it, were you? In fact, we all still have to hear about that from you guys. You don't want anyone to forget what was done to you and who did it. Yet guys like you seem content to forget about what happens to others?! Yeah, I feel like I know you guys, but I also feel like not knowing you personally, is no big loss.

Awww now that's just not nice.

Latest resources

Back