• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

1261 days to go!

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Question for you smart guys...given that age 65 lengthens the pipeline,when does the windfall stop or for fo's the penalty...my logic tells me that everyone hired after the 65 enactment date(whether regional or major) is unaffected...I elect gup as the mod for this discussion...

Question for you smart guys...given that age 65 lengthens the pipeline,when does the windfall stop or for fo's the penalty...my logic tells me that everyone hired after the 65 enactment date(whether regional or major) is unaffected...I elect gup as the mod for this discussion...

Well.......... you asked!

The F/O penalty will continue for quite some time yet.

The F/O hired after December 14, 2007 has had up to 3.5 years of penalty already. His career progression was altered just like any other F/O. He will feel some effect for the rest of his career due to the XX days of stagnation before the next retirement. He would have had more money and better quality of life that was put on hold.

If you meant any F/O hired AFTER 12/14/2012 then I'd agree. He will see "normal" career progression.

And, BTW, it's not just the F/O's that are feeling this. A junior Captain that upgraded just before The Change has found himself junior for the past 3.5 years whereas he would have seen, in WN's case, over 500 Captains placed below him since 12/14/2007. He's worked weekends and holidays that he may not have had to work with those extra 500 below him.

In other words, the ONLY guys that have really benefited from The Change are the guys that were 55 or older when the law was signed. The other 90% of us took it in the ass and didn't even get a thank you.

Gup

Well.......... you asked!

The F/O penalty will continue for quite some time yet.

The F/O hired after December 14, 2007 has had up to 3.5 years of penalty already. His career progression was altered just like any other F/O. He will feel some effect for the rest of his career due to the XX days of stagnation before the next retirement. He would have had more money and better quality of life that was put on hold.

If you meant any F/O hired AFTER 12/14/2012 then I'd agree. He will see "normal" career progression.

And, BTW, it's not just the F/O's that are feeling this. A junior Captain that upgraded just before The Change has found himself junior for the past 3.5 years whereas he would have seen, in WN's case, over 500 Captains placed below him since 12/14/2007. He's worked weekends and holidays that he may not have had to work with those extra 500 below him.

In other words, the ONLY guys that have really benefited from The Change are the guys that were 55 or older when the law was signed. The other 90% of us took it in the ass and didn't even get a thank you.

Gup

Don't forget the furloughed... They got their "vacation" extended.

Latest resources

Back