121 question

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

Clyde Frog

Can an airline crew leave the cockpit door open on the ground?

After landing in the middle of a snowstorm (MSP) the crew on a Northwest flight left the cockpit door open. We were stuck out on the taxiway for almost 2 hrs as they plowed the area around our gate. I'm sure the engines were off when the door was left open. The pilot was standing in the galley talking to the flight attendants.

Door procedures

"When carrying passengers and the main cabin door is closed, the flight deck door must be closed and secured throughout the flight until the aircraft is parked at the gate. Exceptions: Performance of duties and physiological needs".

Sec. 121.587 - Closing and locking of flightcrew compartment door. (a) Except as provided in paragraph (b) of this section, a pilot in command of an airplane that has a lockable flightcrew compartment door in accordance with §121.313 and that is carrying passengers shall ensure that the door separating the flightcrew compartment from the passenger compartment is closed and locked at all times when the aircraft is being operated.
Here you go.

The reg only says that when the aircraft is being operated. If it is parked with the engines off does that constitue operation?

Whiskey Tango said:
The reg only says that when the aircraft is being operated. If it is parked with the engines off does that constitue operation?

I would say that it doesn't. If the motors were on, that probably would have been the clencher.

Not real clear...

FAR 1.1

Operate, with respect to aircraft, means use, cause to use or authorize to use aircraft, for the purpose (except as provided in 91.13 of this chapter) of air navigation including the piloting of aircraft, with or without the right of legal control (as owner, lessee, or otherwise).

This seems to imply that you are only operating an aircraft when you are using it for "air navigation".

Our 121 GOM simply says the door stays locked until the completion of the "parking checklist". Doesn't say this has to be at the gate.

All good points, may be a FED can answer this more reliably. I know from my own experience and other pilots at the now defunct IDE would go in the back and talk to pax if there was a ground delay and the aircraft was parked away from the gate with the engines shut down. However, the company although knew it was good P.R. said it was a no no.
Feel free to chime in!

I do belive on the DC-9, the cockpit door is considered an emergency exit

Latest resources

Back