121 Flight Time Limitation

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

veneratio

I know that I can't fly more than 100 hrs in a calendar month, so for July that would mean from July 1st 0000(time) to July 31st 0000(time).

Today is the 30th, and I am scheduled to fly close to 100 hrs including the 31st, however out new bid month starts on the 31st and scheduling said that the 31st does not count towards the 100 hrs. I told them that's incorrect.

Let's say I am on the gnd delayed and I know that if I take off including this delay I will go over the 100 hrs, can I take off?

thnx.

Get your Chief Pilot...

Get your Chief Pilot to put his "Big Ones" out on the table and sign off (literially on paper) that it is okay.

After many years at the airlines I left. I can tell you that you will cause trouble if you do this on your own or with the unions help.

Get it in writtttttting....Know What I Mean?

Everytime I thought I had a flight time/duty time/rest issue I called the C.P. and almost every single time he told me he would get someone else for that trip. Only after he knew he would have to put is "John Hancock" on the approval for the assignment.

So, in short "No One CARES about the FAR's at management". But, your C.P. does like to prevent a violation on his Certificate.

If he will not sign off on it. Then get the union on the case. If you do it under protest...you can still get a violation later if the Feds get wind of a infraction. That is if they understand the regs.

I am not going to say if it is legal or not. I got into to much trouble as a union helper on flight time/duty time/rest in years past for me to get back into these discussions.

Sorry for the long post. Remember don't use your big ones, use your C.P.'s big ones.

That is sound advise.

Make the CP earn his $$$. That's what he gets paid the big $$$ for.

If you're legal to start the day, you're legal to finish the day, provided there are no schedule changes. Delays don't count as schedule changes.

The 31st does count toward the 100 hours, and it goes until the 31st at 2359:59.99999999999999999999, not 31st at 0000.

I refuse any liability implied or otherwise by my response.

Not So Fast...

This legal to start is legal to finish stuff is crap.

Stop repeating it....for the good of humanity...geeeeez...for crying out loud!

Who taught you the regs...management?

Last edited:
Except in Suppelmental ops then it is a 100 hrs in every 30 day moving block, up to 120 hrs in a 30 day moving block if you land a Int'l airport during every flight segment over 100 hr in the 30 day moving block

honeycomb said:
This legal to start is legal to finish stuff is crap.

Stop repeating it....for the good of humanity...geeeeez...for crying out loud!

Who taught you the regs...management?

It's crap because you don't agree with it or it's crap because you don't think it's correct?

It is correct, and there are any number of FAA interpretations of the regulations that will point that out. Hence people should be aware of it so that they don't get into some kind of pissing match with their CP, the upshot of which is they are wrong and out of a job.

You have interpertations...so do I...I'll dig mine up and show you right after you show me yours...;)

It is wrong. And, after spending over 7 years at a part 121 operator....I can tell you that from OKC/Washington DC/DFW/MEM they don't agree with you either. I was an ALPA helper on the issue of Flight/Duty/Rest times.

At the point the the a/c pushs back or thrust levers coming foward for t/o you must have the legal limits in hand. Therefore what you have flown plus the schedule for that leg must be applied. You also must look back at the intended (with delay's) arrival time at your destination to and find the right rest before push back or t/o.

I could go on but you are never good with legal to start...legal to finish as a legal guidance. You may have a management team that has gotten away with it in the past or you FSDO is just out to lunch who knows.

Don't think that just because the slogan has been around and that all you buddies say it makes it right.

You're mixing the rest/duty requirements, and the max flight time requirements. The "legal to start, legal to finish" only applies to the max flight time limits. Rest/duty limits are hard limits that have no such "out".

Original poster didn't say anything about rest/duty, only max flight time.

121.471:
(g) A flight crewmember is not considered to be scheduled for flight time in excess of flight time limitations if the flights to which he is assigned are scheduled and normally terminate within the limitations, but due to circumstances beyond the control of the certificate holder (such as adverse weather conditions), are not at the time of departure expected to reach their destination within the scheduled time.

I challenge you to bust out an interpretation that contradicts this.

Last edited:

Latest resources

Back