Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Illini Pilot said:
i believe it was the FBO at 06C, not 100% though

The FBO is Northwest FLYERS. They provide mx and charter.
The flight school is Northwest Aviation....two different owners.

the flight school was owned by NW Flyers at one time, but he sold it to MC who owns it now. The old owner actually did decent mx on the airplanes. This new owner does shady mx.
the travel airs are hysterical. I heard one is still grounded after a year. I watched my friend land one single engine. the other prop wouldnt come out of feather.

DX Rick said:
the travel airs are hysterical. I heard one is still grounded after a year. I watched my friend land one single engine. the other prop wouldnt come out of feather.

Sounds like the accumulator wasn't serviced. Samething happened to me 36 years ago!!:eek:

xdays said:
Sounds like the accumulator wasn't serviced. Samething happened to me 36 years ago!!:eek:

The prop wouldnt come out of feather and it had been shut down. The owner or the flight school wanted me to go and start it because he was going to try and get it to come out, then try and fly it to his mx about 15 minutes south of us. Why not just have the FBO mechanics work on it? Because he would have to pay them.

Metro752 said:
Yeah I heard that the MX on the plane that crashed was 4$h1t

yeah i have probably a hundred hours in that plane and i am really surprised it took this long for something like this to happen. there are a whole fleet of warriors identical to that one at 06C and they all suck. looking back i don't know how i survived there a whole year as a flight instructor. the owner of the place is shady, that's for sure.

good times.

:cartman:

and of course this is pure speculation but i would really doubt if the plane "took off with no fuel".

staledog said:
and of course this is pure speculation but i would really doubt if the plane "took off with no fuel".

The FAA was out yesterday looking at the wreck and the plane had fuel in the lines/carb.

Apparently the flight school does not do 100 hours on their planes and that they have some sort of loophole or exception from the FAA allowing this. Anyone know anything about this or how it could possibly be legal?

Yes, the flight school at Morris C09 does the same thing, or did while I was flying there, because it is a "club" so the members/customers pay lets say for example, a $300.00 deposit for membership, and monthly dues of like $20 along with the hourly rental costs.

There is something somewhere that says this is an OK way to get past doing 100 hour inspections. It's not "getting past" doing them, it's not being required to do so.

I personally think if it's a business like a flight school more than a flying club, you should be doing 100 hours, especially in the case of the FBO at Morris, which has it's own MX Hangar and services.

That's just my no-experiance opinion working at an FBO. So it's worth what you are paying to hear it.

AC560 said:
The FAA was out yesterday looking at the wreck and the plane had fuel in the lines/carb.

Apparently the flight school does not do 100 hours on their planes and that they have some sort of loophole or exception from the FAA allowing this. Anyone know anything about this or how it could possibly be legal?

The owner changed it to a club so he could bypass the 100 hour inspections, all he is required to do now is 50 hour oil changes and annuals......which seem to be just a sign off in the log book. If you flew ANY of his planes, you would see clearly he never has mx done. The squawk book is loaded with reoccuring squawks.

When he converted to a club, he then let all the CFI's go, and let them come back as private contractors, so he is not responsible for them if something like this happen.

MC, the owner, told the media there was no fuel on board, and said that his mx is above industry standand. What he really ment to say was "The plane had plenty of fuel, but my mx sucks!" He did it as a diversion.

I have seen typical flight school airplanes, but this places NWA is just down right sickening.

Knowing the owner, I would not be suprised if he tried to get money out of the CFI and student for this. It's not the first airplane he has lost, and it wont be his last. Before this incident happened there had been word that he would file bankruptcy, so he wouldnt have to pay off all his bills and people he owes....LIKE ME!!! and get a new certificate under a new name.

I wish the FBO would start renting out planes again, SB the owner of NWF had a beautiful Arrow I used to rent, but the owner of the flight school had his buddies at city hall block him from competing with MC. SB was even going to rent out his King Air, Areostar and an apache.....all REALLY nice airplanes.

MC was ok at giving out free flight time, usually doing repo flights or parts runs, but the crap he gave you on the side wasn;t worth it. He would smile sunshine up your arse all day long, then the second you turn your back he would stab you. When guys got hired on at the airlines and leave, MC would tell those students " Joe was fired because he wasn't a good CFI"

All in all, if you're looking for a flight school in the Chicago area, stay away from here. STAY FAR FAR AWAY!! Look in Aurora. DPA is too expensive, although Fox Aviation has some pretty decent planes.

Latest resources

Back