• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

joevollers

rockingthenotsofreeworld
First off--- yes this is flame.

But really ----especially if you wear a blue pants.... You do not look like a professional. You do not look like someone who is ready to command a respectable pay-scale at the bargaining table.

There have been many books written on how to dress for success, and I am pretty sure that you would be hard pressed to find the section: How to command respect from the world while wearing a leather bomber jacket with a flexi-fit bottom.

I, for one, feel that how we present ourselves impacts what type of results we get at the negotiating table..... I know, I know, here comes the part where someone points out that SWA guys make a bunch of money (for a post 9\11 world). Well, they also have never had any set backs financially, and I would attribute this more to their management than to their Leather Jackets.

Yes, I did in fact start this thread to flame bait you......But I also think you look silly.:uzi:

Well, they also have never had any set backs financially, and I would attribute this more to their management than to their Leather Jackets

i agree with you a lot on this part! I for one like a leather jacket, if you do not, do not wear one. If you think that what you wear while flying a plane equates in your pay or your unions negotiations, you are sadly mistaken.

I think you should start to look at who got you your reduced pay and how that happened. Take a look at how our unions have been competing against one another instead of work with one another for a better industry. The majority of pilots will not truly unit to make it better for the common good of the industry, and why? Because they want the big payoff in the end. Even thought that line of thought has brought us to where we are now.

But here we go, its all opinion, and my thought is that I would want a great looking jacket.......one that keeps me warm and dry and that last a long time. Now, if you think that its unprofessional, thats your opinion. Fine, do not wear it. I will when i get the chance. Do not displace your anger at taking paycuts with laying the blame on a leather jacket. I think its in the courts, and the basic strategy of our unions working against one another.

I'm not trying to look professional by wearing a leather jacket. I like the Idea of having one jacket to wear as a uniform piece and also as a cold weather jacket on an overnight. It's a pain trying to get my goose down jacket in my rollerboard with all my other crap. Professionalism is an attitude anyway.

You would be correct if you considered this a "Profession" instead of what it really is... just a job.

People need to lighten up on the uniform thing. Passengers don't care about the uniform. The only people that seem to get all caught up about the uniform are the ones like the guy I saw in the mall the other day in full uniform -- DORKS! ok back to t.v. that was my two cents for the night.

When it's fricken cold outside, the regular professional jacket is like a thin wind breaker compared to the leather jacket thank you. Ok let see..leather jacket less money, regular coat more money..You are kidding aren't you???

Are we approaching January 1st or April 1st? This is a joke thread right?!? Just in case it isn't...I don't care if you're wearing a uniform coat tailored by Gucci; most of the overweight and overtired pilots I see slogging through airports don't look like they're ready to sit at diner counter, nevermind a negotiating table. And fortunately, most never will have to negotiate anything more than a jetway, because most of us are paid pilots, not lawyers. Furthermore, since two of the most profitable commercial aviation companies in the industry employ thousands of leather coat wearing professional pilots who enjoy two of the best contracts in the industry, maybe you have the whole "professional image=great contract" thing backasswards. And finally, in my opinion, sport coats with stripes on the sleeve look like bus driver uniforms. And don't even get me started on the hats. But fortunately, I never measured someone's professional ability by the uniform they are required to wear. If I had, I never would have left the Navy for the Air Force.

Did you bet your buddy how many replies you could get on this topic?? I am officially nominating you for "Flightinfo tool of the year." Too bad you couldnt have posted this a few days from now and you'd have a commanding lead in 2007...............

How to command respect from the world while wearing a leather bomber jacket with a flexi-fit bottom.

:uzi:

It's the flexi bottom that's responsible for your paycut.... yeah that's it.

Dude, you need to see a therapist.

Decline of our profession? Come on, but I crack up at those that argue their leather jackets make them look 'non-airline' at overnight bars/restaurants. Do you look like a professional airline pilot? No judgement here. Does your 'casual bomber jacket' make you look like a rod outside the realm of the cockpit, YEP...

To be acceptable please ask Doc Brown to kick everyone else's style back to 1945!

Latest resources

Back