Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Friendliest aviation Ccmmunity on the web
  • Modern site for PC's, Phones, Tablets - no 3rd party apps required
  • Ask questions, help others, promote aviation
  • Share the passion for aviation
  • Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

XJ Avro to fly point-to-point... what the hell?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

Mel Sharples

Northwest to Fly Grand Rapids - Washington D.C. Nonstop

Thursday February 10, 11:00 am ET

GRAND RAPIDS, Mich., Feb. 10 /PRNewswire-FirstCall/ -- Northwest Airlines (Nasdaq: NWAC - News) today announced that it will begin offering the only daily nonstop service between Grand Rapids' Gerald R. Ford International Airport and Ronald Reagan Washington National Airport, beginning May 2, 2005.

The new flight will be operated by Northwest Airlink partner Mesaba Airlines with a 69-seat Avro RJ85 regional jet (ARJ), with 16 seats in first class and 53 seats in coach class.

Huh?!? I thought that the NWA pilots contract specifically said no point-to-point flying in any jet of 50 seats or more. (Hence why 9E flew Lansing to DC in the 44-seater.)

What am I missing???

Last edited:
Mel,

Let's not be kicking the gift horse in the mouth, ok? Let us have at least a little light in the tunnel of darkness. Notice I didn't say at the end of the tunnel (that's still a ways off).

Fly

p.s. If it's NW management trying to end-around the pilot contract I'm sure the union will get very loud very soon.

Last edited:
Looks like the avro will fly MSP-DCA then DCA-GRR, overnight and then go
GRR-DCA and DCA-DTW.

I wonder if the Pinnacle guys are upset we are taking their routes? ;)

Ace McCoy said:
Looks like the avro will fly MSP-DCA then DCA-GRR, overnight and then go
GRR-DCA and DCA-DTW.

I wonder if the Pinnacle guys are upset we are taking their routes? ;)

We will only be upset if that you don't have to drive past 10 closer hotels (all with food nearby) to your hotel that is a minimum of 15 minutes from the airport. Have van times that are reasonable where you don't twiddle your thumbs for an extra 20 minutes at the airport BEFORE your show time. Also get a free/reduced hot breakfast.

Personally.. you can have DCA, now go somewhere sweet.. like LAS, then I'd be pisseed:D

I'm not sure what routes you're taking. We have never done any of those legs. I say more power to you. More flying is good for everyone. We start doing DSM to Washington shortly. Who would have every thought? Now if we could get some good work rules/rigs, that would be sweet!!

Just curious:

With all the additional point to point service being announced, is there any concern about you guys possibly working yourselves out of a future mainline job?

Why would NWA pay an Airbus crew $X/hr, when they can get an few "Airlinker's" to do the same seats with muliple aircraft to do the same route for significantly fewer dollars?

ex.) MSP -> ABQ
MSP -> ELP
DSM-> DCA

Spinn555 said:
Just curious:

With all the additional point to point service being announced, is there any concern about you guys possibly working yourselves out of a future mainline job?

There is no such thing as a future maniline job anymore.

Hey Pinnacle,

I thought you guys were doing GRR to DCA the past couple of months.

Latest resources

Back