Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
J3CubCapt said:
Well, that is not what Herb said....
  • [FONT=Arial, Courier][SIZE=+0]"When people say I agreed to it {Wright Amendment}, yeah, the same way Germany agreed to an armistice after World War I... at the point of a gun."
    Herb Kelleher, founder of Southwest Airlines responding to Attorney Dee Kelly's incredulous remark that Herb Kelleher wrote the Wright Amendment himself
    (FYI: Although DFW Airports' new keepdfwstrong website includes Kelly's quote, it failed to include Herb's reply. Wonder why?)

J3
    [/SIZE][/FONT]

Embellishment for the current campaign against the WA. If Herb was qouted as feeling this way in the years immediately after the WA, it would be more interesting. Established low cost secondary airports and staying under legacy radar was the main goal required for SWA's survival in those days. The real gun to the head would have been closing Love all together and forcing everyone to DFW. That could have been disasterous to SWA's business plan back then.

GuppyWN said:
Just out of curiosity I went to the AA and SWA websites and priced flights from Love to St. Louis departing June 2 returning June 4th.

AA - $474 round trip
SWA - $274 round trip

What's a couple hundred bucks among friends right?

Gup

Wonder what those fares would be if AA had the SWA/Love Field sweetheart rate on airport facilities? I wonder what they would be now if AA had been enjoying that sweetheart deal for 2+ decades? I wonder if metroplex consumers would appreciate the cheaper fare if they knew it was putting an airport in hock?

Lets overlay Love Field expenses on DFW for AA and let you SWA folks pick up the tab for what AA pays at DFW...for, oh say, 20 years. How's that sound? What kind of fare you got then?

You got squat!

canyonblue said:
How many airports come with a deal where you can only fly to a handful of states. Get a clue, .55 is still too much for an airport that gives you the range of a Daisey Air Rifle.

Then move over to DFW. You got the money. If your product is demonstratively superior to the competition you'll do well.

Oh, wait. It's not, and you don't like competition.

Flopgut said:
Wonder what those fares would be if AA had the SWA/Love Field sweetheart rate on airport facilities? I wonder what they would be now if AA had been enjoying that sweetheart deal for 2+ decades? I wonder if metroplex consumers would appreciate the cheaper fare if they knew it was putting an airport in hock?

Lets overlay Love Field expenses on DFW for AA and let you SWA folks pick up the tab for what AA pays at DFW...for, oh say, 20 years. How's that sound? What kind of fare you got then?

You got squat!

SWA flies out of many other cities besides dallas, and in some of these cities their is competition for instance AA. And guess what in those cities SWA is still a more affordable ticket for the consumer. Its called a better business plan deal with it.

Flapgut,

Do we get the 131 gates at DFW too?

MUGS - there is no doubt you have entered the "spin zone" - but the majority of the public supports Southwest Airlines.

Flopgut said:
How about just plan on getting what you pay for. No more free rides for SWA in Dallas.

Free rides? Well since we have never been in Bankruptcy, we have always paid our bills as expected. And your airline? :confused:

canyonblue said:
Free rides? Well since we have never been in Bankruptcy, we have always paid our bills as expected. And your airline? :confused:

BK twice, care of Frank Lorenzo. He traded pilots' pension for worthless stock, sold the catering company to his child daughter and used it to fleece the airline, sold the starter gens off the 727 fleet to a holding company to fleece even more. And all manner of other things as well.

You're appreciative of his work eh? You're a neat guy.

I'm glad I got to repost this article. The first time it was on here no SWA guys wanted to chat it up. It's pretty telling of the nature of the deal you've been getting at Love. You may have been paying your bills, but with the terms you got handed, who couldn't?

Last edited:
Flopgut said:
BK twice, care of Frank Lorenzo. He traded pilots' pension for worthless stock, sold the catering company to his child daughter and used it to fleece the airline, sold the starter gens off the 727 fleet to a holding company to fleece even more. And all manner of other things as well.

You're appreciative of his work eh? You're a neat guy.

I'm glad I got to repost this article. The first time it was on here no SWA guys wanted to chat it up. It's pretty telling of the nature of the deal you've been getting at Love. You may have been paying your bills, but with the terms you got handed, who couldn't?

when did canyon blue say he was appreciative of frank lorenzos work? and dont forget your the one who started attacking swa on this gouge.
oh and who says your a NEAT guy?

canyonblue said:

For decades the legacy carriers have invested in expanding and improving the aviation infrastructure, rather than clinging on to second rate airports like MDW for most of their history. An aviation system that can't get a businessman from Minot to Milan or Milwaukee is far from complete. Somebody had to make the investments so that could be a reality. Unfortunately, such networks have proven overwhelmingly expensive given the unprecedented industry conditions of the last few years. What the future holds, who knows.

At least for you Canyon and many of your civilian only SWA buds, those very airlines that have had trouble paying their bills with the above mentioned route systems provided you guys with a career making opportunity. They provided the jobs that allowed you to quickly build the 1000 turbine PIC time SWA requires doing the type of flying SWA likes to see from civilian applicants. I'm glad that our pathetic, can't pay the bills airlines in your view were around to help you by developing the networks and hence the jobs that made you marketable to SWA. Hopefully, we can continue to do so for many more pilots in the future at SWA and elsewhere.

Latest resources

Back