Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

surplus1

[Take a minute and read this morsel of truth. Tells it like it really is!!!!]

From a UAL retiree in response to Ben Stein's recent NYT article..... It applies equally to every current victim of bankruptcy large or small. The only differences is the equipment type).

"G'Day Mr Stein. I'm writing from my study looking out over one of the most beautiful beaches on the east coast of Australia a view and a location that helps me forget the fact that as recently as 2005 I was a pilot with United Airlines. I was reminded again of what I had walked away from when a colleague and long time friend from two air forces (the Royal Australian Air Force and the United States Air Force), one war (Vietnam), and the airline industry (he flew for Northwest, and I for United) forwarded your thoughtful article that used my ex employer as a clear example of the long decline of America's corporate morality.

A couple of decades ago, I decided that after 20 years as a fighter pilot, retiring with some real money in the bank instead of a general's uniform in the closet was the sensible way to achieve the most desirable outcome that my experience could provide, so I joined the biggest airline in the world.

To date, that decision is one of several bad ones I've made during my life, but having recovered from the others, it is the only one I would revisit if I had the chance to do it all again.

In 1969, as a newly minted pilot in the RAAF, I accepted my assignment to go fight the Communists and the domino theory in Vietnam with considerable enthusiasm. However, on my return from that war, my inner thoughts were more or less exactly what your friend returning from the Gulf War had felt. So had I simply been fighting for the corporate greed and political influence peddling that was already
emerging back then in the 70s.? The answer seemed to be in the affirmative,
because it didn't take more than a one year absence from society to see that
what was happening at home and in the US was the beginning of the loss of
corporate and governmental morality that is now rampant. Back then, the
neoconservatives were younger, albeit already influencing policies about nation building and democratization in third world places that were culturally incapable of the exercise, and Gordon Gekko's appalling "greed is good" ideas were clearly taking root in the boardrooms of the US. So I returned from my tour of duty in Vietnam minus several colleagues, but with a new view of the world, politicians, and the underlying abuse of power that was emerging in corporate America.

Anyway, the years passed, and in the end I found myself flying as a pilot for United Airlines. I should note that on several occasions, I noticed you sitting in the front of my aircraft ­ I've since checked my logbook and saw that on one of those flights, you were flying in a 747 that I commanded on a flight to Chicago one month, and which I then flew shortly after full of marines to Kuwait City. Nothing to do with what follows of course, but it shows how a superb piece of aviation technology that transports a journalist and 350 other people to Chicago one day can be transformed into a machine of war the next .

So I flew for United. and generally enjoying doing what I'd worked much of my life to achieve, a moderately rewarding career with a good pension as the hook. Sadly, we had a succession of carpetbaggers and good old boys pass through the corporate offices of the airline, and it became increasingly obvious that their only true motivation was money – the really silly quantities they could make regardless of their true ability to run the airline or comply with the accepted requirements and responsibilities of sound corporate governance. There were apparently no true "airline men" left, just as there were apparently no "statesmen" left; just carpetbaggers and politicians.

I believe that the last real "airline man" to run United Airlines was a gentleman (and I use that word deliberately.) by the name of "Pat" Patterson and it was his name on the side of the 747 I mentioned above. Pat was from the same generation of aviation enthusiasts and airline visionaries as Juan Trippe (Pan Am) and of course, before he lost his mind, Howard Hughes.

Pat was also one of the guys who at best was only paid the lower multiples of the average employee's wage that you referred to as being typical of Harlow H. Curtice's remuneration ­ pay for which he felt obliged to grow and build a business rather than simply plunder and mismanage. These days, the folks who bluff their way into some of the corner offices in the corporate world, and in particular the airline business, know that they are made men the minute they accept the job. Their subsequent performance is irrelevant, because they surround themselves with sycophants, pander only to the Wall Street analysts and bankers rather than the real investors, and by virtue of the employment contracts the company boards offer them, are guaranteed obscene salaries, bonuses, and ultimately huge termination golden parachutes regardless of whether they succeed or fail. If they fall upon hard times, the only tool they know how to employ is that old chestnut from the Harvard Business School grab bag of tricks that says it's alright to cut the pay, benefits, and numbers of your workforce while you cast around looking for a better idea. Of course if you graduated at the bottom of your class at East Podunck Business School like most of these guys apparently did, then there are usually no intelligent and inspired original management ideas forthcoming after you destroy your employees' careers and pensions along with your customers' demand and brand loyalty, so you then go and seek the protection of the court under Chapter 11 of the bankruptcy code. Of course, in the end, the average employee simply wants an OK career with fair remuneration, a reasonable pension at the end, and an employer he can be
proud of and even brag about, but with a bankruptcy code like that in the US, such an outcome for the average worker is less and less likely.

As I noted above, I live in Australia, and am a citizen of that country. The laws here are such that in the event an Australian company declared bankruptcy and then revealed that it had deliberately misappropriated or underfunded contractually guaranteed employee pension schemes, the CEO and board of directors would wake up the next morning in the slammer. Any company that mismanaged, underfunded, or in any way systematically destroyed employee pension funds would feel the full weight of the law descend on those charged with the governance of such a corporation. In such an unlikely event, the employees' pension plan would always have first right to recover the full value of the plan ahead of other secured creditors.

Curiously, a situation like this did emerge in the early 1990s, when a great Australian Airline (funny how it was an airline, and not surprising that there were numerous common denominators, including greed and gross mismanagement at the top levels of the company), founded and grown by agreat Australian "airline man", Reginald Ansett, declared bankruptcy and shortly after, went out of business. It was discovered that the employee pension funds had been plundered by the company, and in order to restore the pension plans to health, the government of the time actually passed legislation adding a small surcharge to airfares in Australia that went directly back to the pension plans until the funds were restored and until the airline was wound up and its assets sold. That single bankruptcy and the plundering of the pension plans alerted the government of the time to the fact that the corporate governance laws required tightening, and hence today, any CEO or corporate officers responsible for such an eventuality would definitely do hard time regardless.

However, in the US it's different. The robber barons who have taken over
the airline business and many other key industries that the US pioneered and
built to greatness now have the bare faced effrontery to promise everything
to employees and shareholders but deliver nothing much at all, breaking
promises and contracts with these workers along the way with impunity, and ultimately using the federal government's own laws to ruin everything. And therein lies the rub. the Congress allows this to happen without penalty to corporations because the Congress simply does more or less the same thing with the county's own pension plan, Social Security. No doubt those who govern the US would have great difficulty throwing the CEO of a company like United Airlines into custody for ruining the employees' retirement plans and/or leaving the plans with IOUs instead of full funding, because that's just what the US government does with Social Security."

continued

Part 2

"So regrettably, the US is one of the few countries where the government does allow a contractually guaranteed retirement plan to be ruined by deliberate action, and sadly, the company officers who do this are only following the government's own irresponsible example.

Sadly, it's not worth getting too passionate about all this, because it's unlikely to change until half the workforce lose their pensions and end up on the welfare rolls in their old age. Instead, we all should have been smarter and not believed the pitch, the contracts, the unions, or in the end, the government. We in United were probably doomed from the day Pat Patterson rode off into the sunset, and the people at the top started believing that Gordon Gekko had a good business model.

The airline business was a great ride for a while, and was once even an honorable profession. Now, being the pilot of a 747 or other large and complex airliner is simply where the companies want it to be in the overall scheme of things --­ a blue collar skill on roughly the same level as train or ferry boat driving, and commanding about the same pay, but with nothing at the end.

My old friend who I first met in Vietnam in 1969 and who flew with Northwest
simply got sick of it all and retired early when he realized there was almost no honor left in corporate America, and now, so have I. I have no pension other than the small percentage of what I had planned my retirement around that the government's own Pension Benefit Guarantee Corporation pays me, and again, I'm at the mercy of the politicians who will no doubt start lying to me again about their commitment to fully fund this bogus insurance agency. But frankly Ben, it doesn't matter. I live in The Lucky Country, I'll be surfing 5 minutes after I press the send button at the top of this email, and I don't ever look up when a jet flies over anymore.

You've got to agree that it's sad however, because I was once the greatest pilot on the planet. I was bulletproof, never made a wrong decision, and wore the gullibility of youth on my sleeve for all to see; all until I was at least 24 years old, when I first suspected that the politicians I worked for lacked the veracity that my father once assured me they had. As my career progressed, I found out that honor and truth had gone from both the Parliament and Congress that I served at various times, and that the boardrooms of America took their lead from the same people.

To hell with it anyway. I suppose I should have taken the route to the general's uniform in the closet if I'd wanted the pension to be guaranteed, so I'll just have to blame it all on my gullibility. I'm going surfing."

By Dick Russell

In America, you no longer need to run a successful business to make money. You can set up parent companies and bleed money out of another company that never turns a profit. Why this is legal is beyond me, but this will eventually be the death of the USA.

There have been 3 main causes to the downfall of every great civilization in history. Sex, Pride, And Money. And this country is falling to all three right before our eyes. We've lost our unity, strength, and goals. This country better wake up very quick or we will end up as Rome except we will have lasted 1/5th the time.

That's a good letter. Do you have a link to the Ben Stein article? Or can someone possibly paste it here?

woog315 said:
That's a good letter. Do you have a link to the Ben Stein article? Or can someone possibly paste it here?

I believe this may be it....if it is not, sorry.

When You Fly in First Class, It's Easy to Forget the Dots

By BEN STEIN
Published: January 29, 2006

ONE of the best conspiracy movies ever made is the perfect British classic, "The Third Man." In the most haunting scene, the villain, played adroitly by Orson Welles, takes Joseph Cotten, the good guy, up in a Ferris wheel. The villain, named Harry Lime, has been selling adulterated penicillin in postwar Vienna, making a fortune and causing children to become paralyzed and die.

Mr. Cotten's character, a pulp fiction writer named Holly Martins, asks him how he could do such an evil thing for money. The two men are at the top of the Ferris wheel, and the people below them look like tiny dots. Mr. Welles's villain looks down and says, "Tell me, would you really feel any pity if one of those dots stopped moving forever? If I offered you £20,000 for every dot that stopped, would you really, old man, tell me to keep my money, or would you calculate how many dots you could afford to spare?"

This scene comes to mind when I think of Glenn F. Tilton and other executives of the UAL Corporation and the hapless employees of its primary business, United Airlines. Its history is a perfect text for the ethical morass in which American business often finds itself.
United is one of the proudest names in airline history. It has long been a synonym for fine service and extensive, convenient routes. In the early 1990's, when some investment bankers were casting around for a way to make tens of millions of dollars, they came up with a doozy: the employees of UAL would give up some of their salaries and benefits in exchange for stock in UAL, eventually becoming UAL's largest owner through an employee stock ownership plan.

The deal went through — with staggering compensation to Wall Street — and in 1994 the American employees of UAL, as a group, became its largest owners. Within a few years, overseas personnel were allowed the privilege of tossing their life savings into UAL, too.

Trouble was not far behind. The employees found management demanding pay cuts, big (and, for passengers, inconvenient) changes and cuts in scheduling and services, and even silly changes in their once-great flight attendant uniforms. Then came the blows of 9/11 and a recession, and then rising fuel costs. There were demands for more cuts in pay and benefits and more layoffs. That was not enough. About three years ago, UAL was "forced" to enter bankruptcy to stay alive.

This step meant that UAL could drastically cut workers' pay — and it did. Pensions were simply jettisoned and made the burden of the federal government's Pension Benefit Guaranty Corporation, which meant cuts of close to two-thirds in some pilots' pension payments. And, of course, the bankruptcy simply eliminated all of that equity in UAL that the employees had bought with their hard-earned savings.

Thus, in a series of evil events, management of UAL basically ruined the lives of the employee-owners, if that is not putting too fine a point on it, by taking away their savings, incomes and pensions. (I am indebted to my pal, Phil DeMuth, for much of this research.)

All right, you might say. What else could management have done amid high fuel costs and a deregulated, supercompetitive market? That's "creative destruction," and it's good for the economy, some of my fellow Republicans and admirers of the free market might say. But what about the rules of law and common decency? Because, you see, there is a bit more to the story.

Now UAL has been reorganized. It is preparing to emerge from bankruptcy. It will soon have a stock offering. This offering is expected to raise very roughly $6 billion. It is presumably worth that because UAL now has such low labor costs that it may actually make a profit of some size. (I'll believe it when I see it.)

Here comes the good part: management has asked the bankruptcy court to let it have — free — roughly 15 percent of the stock in the new company, or about $900 million. Mr. Tilton, the chief executive, who plays the Orson Welles character in this drama, would get about $90 million personally for his hard work shepherding UAL through bankruptcy (for which he was already paid multiple millions of dollars).

The bankruptcy court, instead of ordering Mr. Tilton's arrest, instead cut the management share to about 8 percent, so he will get more than $40 million, more or less. That is more than Lee R. Raymond, the chief executive of Exxon Mobil, one of the most successful companies of all time, was paid in 2004 (not counting Mr. Raymond's 28 million shares of restricted stock).

So here it is in a nutshell: employees are goaded into investing a big chunk of their wages and benefits in UAL stock. They lose that. Then they lose big parts of their pay and pensions. They become peons of UAL. Management gets $480 million, more or less. "Creative destruction?" Or looting?

Wait, Mr. Tilton and Mr. Bankruptcy Judge. The employees were the owners of UAL. They were the trustors, and Mr. Tilton and his pals were trustees for them. How were the trustors wiped out while the trustees, the fiduciaries, became fantastically rich? Is this the way capitalism is supposed to work? Trustors save up, and their agents just take their savings away from them?

If the company is worth so much that management has hundreds of millions coming to them, shouldn't the employee-owners get a taste? Does capitalism mean anything if the owners of the capital can be wiped out while their agents grow wealthy? Is this a way to encourage savings and the ownership society? Or is this a matter of to him who hath shall be given?

I know that this is basically the same story I described recently concerning the Delphi Corporation, where something similar is going on. But that's exactly the point. Management is using competition, higher fuel costs and every other cost complaint to cut the pay and pensions of its own employees while enriching itself.

And I can well imagine what goes through Mr. Tilton's mind as he does it: "Hey, I'm a great executive. Great executives in private-equity firms make more than I do. Why shouldn't I get the moolah? Basically, I've worked it so UAL is now a private-equity deal anyway. That's what it's all about now, isn't it? Who's got the most at the end of the day at Bighorn or the Reserve or whatever golf course I choose to retire at? And, anyway, wouldn't you take $48 million for a few of those dots we used to call our employees and owners to stop moving?"

Ben Stein is a lawyer, writer, actor and economist. E-mail: [email protected].

Correction: Feb. 5, 2006, Sunday:

Because of an editing error, the Everybody's Business column last Sunday, about executive pay at the UAL Corporation, misstated part of the compensation for the leader of another company in 2004. Lee R. Raymond, then the chief executive of Exxon Mobil, received restricted stock worth $28 million; he did not receive 28 million shares of restricted stock.

Last edited:
Mr. Welles's villain looks down and says, "Tell me, would you really feel any pity if one of those dots stopped moving forever? If I offered you £20,000 for every dot that stopped, would you really, old man, tell me to keep my money, or would you calculate how many dots you could afford to spare?"

Then: "The death of one man is a tragedy; the death of a million is a statistic." --Stalin

Now: "The loss of one man's job is a tragedy; the loss of a million is a statistic." --American CEO

Last edited:
Things like this will continue to go on as long as politicians are bought and paid for by corporations. This is not meant to bash any one party - for every republican in someone's pocket there's a democrat in the other pocket. What I would give for just one honest man in Washington, one honest man on Wall Street. Money and power corrupt, and we, you and me, pay the price.

...If you and/or your brother decide to run I'll back you up!

Latest resources

Back