Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

enigma

good ol boy
In another, on-going, thread, the subject/question/accusation came up about greeting each other in the terminal. It seems to a decent subject for discussion.

So, who returns your greetings?

For myself, being a pilot with a uniform that somewhat resembles CAL, and being one who always make eye contact: I get a response about 90% of the time. Not always verbally, but some response. About half return a verbal greeting. Overall, I'd say that Eagle pilots are the most responsive. My qualifier for that statement is that I don't see many UAL, AAA pilots; I commute from DFW to south FL and fly mostly the east coast. I see mostly: AA, Eagle, DAL, DCI, AirTran, NWA and SWA.

No flaming please, just your opinions about the most friendly pilot group. Someone else can start a thread about the most unfriendly group.

regards,
8N

Funny you should ask? Everytime I am in an airport I notice that crews don't even look at each other. I would think that crews would at least say hi to each other. I know they all may not know each other just thought they would say hi to each other.

UAL seems to be 50/50 whether or not they'll acknowledge you. SkyWest is a safe bet for a greeting where ACA is pretty sure they'll ignore you. Everyone else seems to be friendly enough.

From an AirWis guy,

S.

Man, I always smile and say "Hey how ya doin" like a good Chicago boy. I don't particularly care whether its returned or not. If not I just assume that the other person is socially retarded.

At home in MDW most of the other pilots (ATA, SWA, and most transients) say hi back. Good people, them Chicaga folks.

If you can get them to pry their cell phones away from their ears you might get lucky and get a grunt of acknowledgement from the ones at the company I work for.

Regards,

ex-Navy rotorhead

In the past, most AA pilots would make the "cross-check" and their eyes would go right to your hat. They wouldn't return your greeting until they determined if you were Eagle or American.
It has gotten a LOT better in the last year or so, and most of the AA pilots are friendly, but there are still some senior old coots who give us nothing but ice.

What I found in my pilot penguin suit travels in terminals, if you have 3 stripes, the 4 strippers look right though you but other FO's grunt, nod or say hello. As far as FBO's go...everyone seems to be pretty pleasant....whether you are wearing the typical pilot outfit or in corporate attire.

Hey, I always say hello to whoever/whatever I see in a crew uniform. Most everyone smiles and says hi back... It's kinda funny how a smile and a nice greeting helps to link us together just a little bit more.

The crews in Newark and Houston REALLY get set back when I do it there... CLE is smaller and more close-knit.

We've even adopted a few AA and other strays when the crew gets together for a few during the evening "debrief".

Latest resources

Back