Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

lownslow

hey folks,

I've got a few things stirring right now: 1) LR25/35 part 135 SIC-executive charter/air ambulance-alot of flying-domestic & international-good money-type rating w/in 2yrs of employment/possible upgrade to captain in 2yrs maybe 3 depending on movement, economy, etc...
2) CE402 captain-part 135 charter-'fun flying'- competitive pay-multi-PIC!
3) CE208 captain-part 135 NIGHT FREIGHT-scheduled-less pay-not-so-good location- respected flying

I have my ATP, just over 1500 hrs, 682 total multiengine but 162 hours of multi. PIC. 518 multi as metroliner SIC. I'm really leaning towards the Lear 25/35 SIC job but the CE402 job will build multi PIC. and the caravan night freight job sucks but is respected flying experiece. Sorry to write a book here, but I would appreciate some advice on which way to go- Thanks in advance

none are bad choices

I would go with option 2 or 3, option 2 gives you MEL pic, option 3 gives you turbine PIC, best bet is to go with the first offer, the old bird in the hand story. Freind of mine, ex USAirways, 10K hours, 450 MEL PIC, 8500 121 turbo jet SIC, coud not apply at a number of airlines because he did not have his 1000 turbin PIC. That 1000 turbin PIC is a pretty important number to get on your resume.

Gotta make a couple assumptions here

First I'll assume your a fairly young person and second I'll assume your ultimate goal is to fly a jet as PIC (be it 91, 121, or 135).

With that in mind, the best advice I could give is take the Lear job!!!
Previous jet jobs are usually the fastest way to better jet jobs. Sure there are plenty of guys who go from turboprops (freight or pax) to good jet jobs. But a couple years in the right seat of a lear is great experience and will show that you've been working and learning in the same type of operation. Plus most guys will know that if you've managed to handle all the challenging characteristics and gotchas of the Lears (especially the 20's) you should have no problem when moving up to newer/bigger equipment.

Good Luck with whichever you choose!

What is your ultimate goal in aviation? My 2 pennies aren't worth much, but here goes. Skip the 402, that experience will only qualify you for what you are looking at right now....the Lear Sic job or 208 job. Unless you want to be a freight doggie, skip the 208. Unless of course that company also flies jets and there is an oportunity to advance to the jet. I think the best bet is to take the Lear job. The money, type and 2 year upgrade sound right. And if things don't go as planned, there is so much valuable networking in the bizjet world it is easy to find something that fits you and your goals.

Its kinda funny to me that you have 1500 and around 650 in the Metro. Did you pay for that time? Seems like it. More power to you if you didn't.
Dude

El Duderino Its kinda funny to me that you have 1500 and around 650 in the Metro. Did you pay for that time? Seems like it. More power to you if you didn't.

dont assume that everybody with low time AND turbine time payed for a job. Sometimes people get lucky, and I'd rather be lucky than good any day.

Thanks!!!

snoopy_1 said:
Hey rice, that's a beauty avater.

Now if I could only get the CP to hire her life would really be good.;)

And for all you feminists (or those just exceptionally in touch with your feminist side) that was a joke.

Do the Lear! Get the Upgrade! Only time that counts is Turbine(T/Jet &/or T/Prop)PIC and revisit this issue with 1000 PIC Turbine & ATP w/LR Type, 3 to 4 years from now. NO TYPE after 3 years=EXIT stage right!(Just keep that under raps though-specifically from the Lear employer and fellow pilots)

Latest resources

Back