What have you flown?

hawk16e

Total Time
1 or 2
Do you have a particular airplane you like Most? How about a manufacturer?

clr4theapch

Total Time
tons
RC Favorite

Well, I have been into RC for about 5 years now.. built them, ARFS and no electric.. just me...

I have my favorite, its the Hangar9 Ultra stick 60 size. Just wore them out, built several for people and just completed my 5th one.. this one is a beast.. I have a 1.00 evolution 2 stoke.. quad flaps, of course I beef up the structure with glass and resin run 14 oz tank.. I have the new 2,4 Ghz DX7 JR Radio.. with all digital servos..

Flying in Crow Mode is exciting at the least.. I call it the BagDad approach... run her up to about 500' full crow on.. (ailerons up, flaps full down 60) and push the nose over... no significate airspeed gain.. stright down... pull the nose up at 4' agl.. hover land in about 100'.. cool...

the airplane does it all.. my Fav for sure...

Seadogrun

Total Time
I've been out of RC Airplanes for many years, but my favorite bird way back when was an Ugly Stick(yes it was UGLY). But it flew great. It may be simular to the Ultra Stick.

Recently I got into and out of RC Choppers. I had an little electric Blade CP Pro. It was alot of fun and challenging to learn, but didn't have the time or money to invest to really get "into" the hobby.

clr4theapch

Total Time
tons
They are close to the same.. the ultra stick is built for speed, and the quad flaps make the plane do its thing.. nothing else out there does this..

Choppers are expensive, espec when your learning.. :( I never had the desire to get into them.. there are guys in our club that are amazing with them...

svcta

"Kids these days"-AAflyer
Total Time
SOLO!
Anyone from the glory days of pattern flying in here? When the T2A and the Brushfire were the hot planes to fly. I only fly about once a year any more but I grew up around it. The last airplane I crashed was an Ace 4-40 that had a Thunder Tiger .45 on it. The receiver battery came loose and I sifted it through a stand of trees.

My dad still has a barn full of old pattern gear. 3 or 4 T2As, Mk IIs and MK IVs(and maybe a MK III), maybe 4 8-channel Futaba transmitters and a whole bunch of high-dollar(once upon a time) JR servos. I've got a stack of Enya 1.20 4 strokers that could all use an M.M.O. bath, too.

Those T2s were the best flying airplanes I ever flew. The guy who designed it made a smaller version about 10 years ago called a "Medalist". It was seriously bad. About a .40 size, though we flew it with .60s. Fixed gear and I don't think we had tuned exhaust on it. Pick one up if you can find one.

A-Track

Total Time
some
Got hooked on the giant scale aerobats a few years ago. I mainly fly a 1/4 scale edge 540 and a 33% ultimate bipe. We do alot of SSC combat at my club which lately is about all we're flying but ooh well it's a lot of fun to do.

Seadogrun

Total Time
I still have new in the box R.A. Bob Hoover verson P-51 with retracts from 10 years ago. If I ever get the time and interest back I'll build it.

moonlight

Flyin' to fund my fishin'
Total Time
I have an Ultra Stick w/ a HB .61 on it, I've got it shelved until I can find a good float kit for it. Also, I have a Funtana 90 from Horizon w/ a Saito 1.25 on it...unbelievable 3D capability. I keep a cool little pizza box flyer that I can carry with me in the plane when I'm on a trip.

clr4theapch

Total Time
tons
Monster Stick...

Well the evolution 1.0 was a bust.. would not stay running, did everything to try and fix the problem.. so I returned it and got the powerhouse 1.20 AX OS on her..

I beefed up the forward fuse box of this 60 size ultra stick to handle the extra power.. 3HP.. all the rudder and stab areas are epoxied... well be doing another engine run and tuning and possibly a first flight with this monster motor in the morning..

got any holy water?? :)

Last edited:

Buckeye

Total Time
-
I learned on an AeroStar 40 ran a Weber .45, JR 6 channel (newly certified Gold Seal). Then had: SIG Kougar 40, Super chimpmunk, Big Stik 40 and 60, and a T-34. My favorite A/C was the Big Stik 60. That was many years ago.

bobs98tlr

Total Time
some
I flew a PT40 into a tree one day, fixed that night then into the ground harder then a rock the next day. I knew it was a bad day to fly with all that wind. After that it was a piper cub with a 60inch wing span. That ended with a tree as well.

Im gonna stick to watching RC pilots. Haha

CIIBK

Total Time
svcta,

I'm an old pattern guy from way back. First was a stock Kaos (1972). Went from there to Mach 1's and Dirty Birdies, Phoenix's, etc. Really interested in pattern again with the senior pattern assoc. Now I'm gonna have to go dig out some pictures of the good ole days!

icefr8dawg

Total Time
abunch
wow, a stock Kaos! I remember the envy when I was 13 and all the older guys had them.
Best model i've ever flown was a Goldberg cub, flys just like the real thing. Anyone know a good suitcase sized model to bring on these five day florida trips we get?

LR25

Its just a vintage VW
Total Time
I'm scratch building 1/3 scale T-28C, 160" wing, 32" 3 blade prop.

Still working out what motor, most likely around 100cc with gear reduction.

I was into pattern briefly, with a SIG King Kobra with retracts and a tune pipe, great flying airplane for $60, fun stuff.

One of the most fun planes I remember, was the Goldberg Cub, I flew it most weekends for almost 5 or 6 years, had several colors of "replacement" covering on it due to a few hard landings.

svcta

"Kids these days"-AAflyer
Total Time
SOLO!
CIIBK,
I remember the Kaos. My dad has done some SPA stuff around Georgia, flew in a contest a couple of years ago and was trying to talk me in to it, but I never got around to it. The SPA is fun; I like the limitations and the fact that it keeps it from getting too pricey like things were in the 80s and 90s with 8 and 10 channel computer radios, retracts, high-dollar engines, carbon-fiber pipes, etc.

hdpilot50

Total Time
enough
just bought a dragon wing 4 channel...good park flyer. some people have loaded a small video camera on it

Rekks Inbound

Total Time
Plenty
Dave Patrick Ultimate with a Saito 1.5. Perfect power to weight ratio. Too bad you can't get them any more, one sweet flying machine!

Prior to that, Tipo's and Phoenix 8's. Really miss the old pattern days.

Peace.

Rekks

mvedepo

Total Time
>1
Best Airplanes: Composite Arf
Best non-composite: Extreme Flight R/C or Aero Works Quick Builds
Best Gas Engines: 3W
Best Glow Engines: YS
Best Radio: JR. Especially the 9303.
Best Servos: Hitec titanium geared
My favorite airplane setup: