• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Weird crew members

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
I knew a guy who lined his hat with tin foil in flight to keep out the gamma rays, or something to that effect.
Another guy carried an entire duffel bag full of tools - he had enough to tear down an engine in that thing.
I also had a friend doing night freight who always flew barefoot.

Carriage of tools probably indicates an older hand or someone experienced in older equipment. One learns to fix what breaks on one's own. It's a survival thing.

I flew for a gentleman who would really work himself up into a frenzy over this subject or that, on a regular basis. One day in the hangar he slammed me against a wall and began screaming that he was going to put a shotgun in my mouth and blow the back of my head off if I didn't go to Washington DC with him and use a shotgun to kill all the liberals there.

I flew with one genteman who would become irate at himself or the airplane when things didn't go well, and begin yelling at it, and pound the control column with his fist.

I flew with another who had knocked three copilots unconscious. (in flight).

I flew with one captain who had tossed a female copilot--the only one he ever flew with--out of the airlane and onto the ramp, and then tossed her gear out on top of her.

I flew with one individual who liked to jump out of an airlane with a parachute stuffed in a garbage bag to prove that it would always open.

Another who always wore sandals, and another who wouldn't fly unless he had a bag of peach gummi candies on the center pedestle.

I was going into LAX on night with a senior captain. He was known for his temper. It was my leg, we were IMC. He began mumbling something about not taking on any fuel. I'd seen him do it before, and I commented that we had better take on fuel. He told me I'd shut up and like it, and I responded that perhaps so, but I'd catch a flight home with someone else and leave him stranded, if we didn't get fuel.

He began yelling, saying I was lucky he didn't bash in my teeth and punch me in the mouth, and then said I was lucky he didn't take a handgun, put it in my mouth, and blow my brains all over the cockpit. He then said I was lucky he didn't toss me out of the airplane then and there.

In his case, I reported the situation (we did get fuel), and he was ordered to undergo an anger management class. No disciplinary action, still works for the company.

Another pilot who flew the line and was director of operations for the mid-size part 135 operation. When an issue came up one day regarding the regulation, he told me he knew best, because when he was in the army he wrote the FAR's. He was quite adamant about it, too.

One who carried a giant two-headed dildo in his tools on board.

Another pilot who was known for dancing naked on the bar during a layover.

A chief pilot who's palms perspired so much that he had to remove them from the controls several times a minute to dry them against an air vent.

I knew a company owner, director of operations, and very experienced hand that bought an older warbird. He had it modified with oil shutoff valves, and then took it flying with the director of maintenance. They left the shufoffs in the off position, and managed to get on the ground before siezing the second engine.

How about the Director of Operations psycho who told me I was lucky to have a job, and that really I ought to be paying him for the chance to work there (topic was a promised pay increase, and shortly thereafter, my notice when I quit).

How about the Chief Pilot who told me he insisted all new hires run a tank dry so that they could learn how far they could push the airplane?

Or a chief pilot who went to prison for sex with foster kids? I'd have never guessed.

Those were some of the more normal ones. What do you consider wierd?

BTW, I carry a lot of tools, when able and where applicable.

Running good ol' freight, I always have at least a handful of tools w/me.

As far as wearing shoes..............Nope, not in the summer and in the winter(depending on where I am) it's usually sandles.

FD75:cool:

Originally posted by avbug Those were some of the more normal ones. What do you consider wierd?

Avbug, I am speechless.

Best I can come up with are a couple of captains who had some weird theories about how the ACARS works.

After the printout comes through there is a little blinking light that reminds you to tear off and read your message. There is a button that says "ALERT RESET" that cancels the blinking light.

One captain claimed that you HAD to push the button, because the ACARS would not accept any new messages with the light blinking.

Another one REFUSED to push the button, and told his FO's NEVER to push the button "....because it ALERTS them!"

Not sure who "them" was, dispatch, crew scheduling, the CIA, Area 51, the Taliban.....?

Two completely opposite theories, both of them completely wrong!:rolleyes:

LAXSaabdude

Last edited:
LAXSaabdude said:
Another one REFUSED to push the button, and told his FO's NEVER to push the button "....because it ALERTS them!"

Not sure who "them" was, dispatch, crew scheduling, the CIA, Area 51, the Taliban...?
The RJDC? :D

wacko pilot

on a j41 dash were three "axe" cuts, deep ones not simple scratches......this looney tune from down under took it apoun himself to "make his mark".....somewhat of an JFK institution....thank god he didn't have a nail clipper handy!!!!!!! thanks tsa!!!

I flew with one captain who had tossed a female copilot--the only one he ever flew with--out of the airlane and onto the ramp, and then tossed her gear out on top of her-----

LOL

Is that weird?!......just kidding

Latest resources

Back