Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Friendliest aviation Ccmmunity on the web
  • Modern site for PC's, Phones, Tablets - no 3rd party apps required
  • Ask questions, help others, promote aviation
  • Share the passion for aviation
  • Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

W. makes it official..the Wright Amendment is history.

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

Coool Hand Luke

Bush Signs Bill Repealing Wright Amendment In 8 Years

KXAS-TV WASHINGTON, D.C.

President George W. Bush signed a law Friday that eliminates in 2014 restrictions on long-haul flights from Dallas Love Field, Texas officials said. Travelers will see an immediate impact. Southwest Airlines has said it would begin selling one-stop tickets -- called through-ticketing -- within days of the bill signing.

Bush's signing of the bill, done without ceremony, caps two years of intense lobbying and negotiations involving American Airlines and Southwest Airlines Co, the cities of Dallas and Fort Worth, Dallas-Fort Worth International Airport and Dallas Love Field.

"It has been a long process, but North Texas consumers will benefit from more competition and significantly reduced airfares," Sen. Kay Bailey Hutchison, who sponsored the bill, said in a news release.

The 1979 law known as the Wright Amendment forced flights leaving Love Field to land in Texas or the four contiguous states. Restrictions were later lifted on four more states.

The new law will repeal the Wright legislation after eight years and reduce the number of gates at Love Field from 32 to 20.

The action requires Federal Aviation Administration approval before through-ticketing starts. As a result, a fare war probably wouldn't start until next week at the earliest.

Good.

That’s the problem with this country, restrictions on business. A business should not have any restrictions and should only have to follow basic common sense laws.

Any airline should be able to fly anywhere, at anytime and charge whatever it wants whenever it wants. I don’t know why that is not allowed. If an airline can operate safely under FAA regulations I don’t see what the problem is.

Chapter 11 is also nonsense and should not be allowed either. If you can't pay your bills well then you don't deserve to exist. If that were the case Delta, NW, UAL and especially US Air wouldn't be around with their subpar products. Airlines like SW who actually can make a buck even with all the laws designed to put them out of business would be able to flourish. Much like unions these laws protect the lazy and the groups cannot cut it when there is superior competition. This IS communism for crying out loud!

Sometimes the USA reminds me of a communist country the way we treat businesses and lazy workers and don't even get me started on those silly restrictions on foreign ownership.

Good.

That’s the problem with this country, restrictions on business. A business should not have any restrictions and should only have to follow basic common sense laws.

Any airline should be able to fly anywhere, at anytime and charge whatever it wants whenever it wants. I don’t know why that is not allowed. If an airline can operate safely under FAA regulations I don’t see what the problem is.

Chapter 11 is also nonsense and should not be allowed either. If you can't pay your bills well then you don't deserve to exist. If that were the case Delta, NW, UAL and especially US Air wouldn't be around with their subpar products. Airlines like SW who actually can make a buck even with all the laws designed to put them out of business would be able to flourish. Much like unions these laws protect the lazy and the groups cannot cut it when there is superior competition. This IS communism for crying out loud!

Sometimes the USA reminds me of a communist country the way we treat businesses and lazy workers and don't even get me started on those silly restrictions on foreign ownership.

You've got to be on drugs. The problem with this country is restrictions on business?? In case you forgot, we (humanity) invented corporations to benefit us. Not the other way around. Capitalism is fine, but by no means a perfect system. Regulation is essential in order to set minimum standards for safety, workers rights, environmental protections, etc. You're in the wrong business if you don't understand the important role unions have played in increasing your quality of life. Thinking that the poor corporations and the pirates that lead them need greater freedom is crazy. If anyone needs more protection it's the American worker.

Good.

I agree with some of what you say although there should be a limit on how many times more than an average worker executives can make. I mean, I know it's capitalism here but there is no way a CEO should make 400-500 times what the average worker at a company makes. NO WAY, NEVER, NO HOW.

c'mon...you can talk about all the "fair" things you want..but the powers that be don't care about you or anyone else except what behind the scenes deals they made to line their pockets.....

all of your blah blah blah talk is a waste of time.

Coolhand Luke,

Man, I thought you put up a good thread. Looks like somebody had a stick and started stirrin dat antbed though. On a more positive note, you ready to catch some Reds, eh? Its gonna be a good weekend.

The coonass

I agree with some of what you say although there should be a limit on how many times more than an average worker executives can make. I mean, I know it's capitalism here but there is no way a CEO should make 400-500 times what the average worker at a company makes. NO WAY, NEVER, NO HOW.

If you are not happy with your wages, get a real job. You're not limited if you una$$ the cockpit seat.

If you are not happy with your wages, get a real job. You're not limited if you una$$ the cockpit seat.

What are you talking about? Where did I say I was not happy with my wages?

So you mean to tell me you see nothing wrong with a CEO making 500 times more than the average worker at his/her company? You see nothing wrong with CEOs getting a few million for severance while regular employees take 50% pay cuts?

Your wages are what you negotiated, not what you're worth. My company is my company, it is not a democracy or communist, its mine, and I can do what I want with its assets.

If I decide that the coffers can afford to pay me $XXX, why should I settle for $XX? If you are happy making $YY, why should I offer to pay you more than $Y? Its more for me and the bottom line. If business should go in the toilet, you're going to make $Y, where I may not take anything home.

Thats why I'm the boss, and you work for me.

Latest resources

Back