VFR part 135 or CFI, which is better?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

time builder

A friend of mine flies as a VFR C207 captain part 135, and asked me to post this thread. He has over 700 hours but no multiengine. He can get multiengine rated around here, and upgrade to a C402 in a few months with his current job, but it’s still VFR only.
His other option is to move to a larger city, get multiengine rated and instruct at a place with better equipment and simulators than he could instruct with around here.
The goal is to get a job with a regional as quick as possible, so personal opinions aside, how would an HR dept. view him making this move back to instructing after having a couple VFR part 135 jobs? He doesn’t want to look like a “floater,” but wants to accelerate his career.

I really don't think the regionals give a rats a$$ about anything besides a clean record and flight time. What's going to hurt your buddy is the lack of multi-engine time. Regionals want that.

I wouldn't be in such a rush to get to a regional. I did VFR 135 flying in some great locations flying neat equipment and have some great memories from doing that (see avatar). I'm even trying to work with my current employer to go back to that job for a couple weeks later this summer because it is so much fun (and better than regional FO pay).

Beyond that, whatever he can do to get his multiengine time up will help. Meeting the hirings minimums is the first step to actually working at a regional.

Latest resources

Back