• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

Yahtzee

Season Ticket Holder
I have a copy of a scanned document (a TIFF file) which states:

"The Air Force has proposed, and I support implementation, of Stop Loss authority to ensure units remain adequately manned." The message is signed & approved by Donald S. C. Chu, Undersecretary of Def P&R.

This document has a stamp on it which says "SECDEF Has Seen 26 Feb 03"

Has anyone else seen or heard of this Air Force Stop Loss Proposal?

If anyone has a scanner that has OCR send me a PM and I'll e-mail the file to you if interested. If we can get the file scanned, someone else should be able to post the message on this site.

Yahtz

More text from the letter:

SUBJECT: Proposed Air Force Stop Loss Implementation

* The Air Force estimates 21,000 members of their total force will be impacted through December 1, 2003. The plan targets the most stressed specialties --31 officer specialties (38% of officer force) and 40 enlisted specialties (27% of enlisted force).

* Humanitarian concerns are provided for. Those exempted include persons with involuntary/hardship discharges, mandatory retirements/separations, discharge by reason of conscientious objector status, members who have shipped/scheduled to ship household goods, members on terminal leave, and members who were previously stop lossed and have since established a retirement or separation date.

Hey purple,
Where did you get the info?? Could you please PM a fellow Altoosian the rest of the info. Thanks.

Neo

Army StopLoss MSG

Hey all - I seem to be a minority round this board but if any army guy hasnt heard yet, we got one. The message specifies units assigned to CENTCOM or those that have deployment orders DEPORDS to go to CENTCOM. Of course the actual units are classified and the concerned personnel are already gone and probably can't read too much of this.

I'm might go out on a limb and say that all of us will be stop-lossed - curse my mouth. I'm stuck at the flight school but volunteered to go (to a flying slot).

The link below is the army message from the donkey's mouth... You AF, Navy, Marine (although I thought all Marines were already stoplossed) will at least see what uncle sugar has to say about stop loss in the army - Heck, its all DoD speak - your message will probably sound pretty similar.

Good luck and those guys from Hill Street Blues (old school, I know) said it right - "Let's be careful out there" and "Let's do it to them before they do it to us!"

http://perscomnd04.army.mil/milpermsgs.nsf

Stop Loss Memo Link

Here's the link.

ShawnC is the man that made it happen. Thanks much!

http://www.lazyeights.net/stoploss.pdf

If anyone wants a copy of the Tiff file, send me a PM with your e-mail address.

NOTE: If you want a copy of the file, you must include your e-mail addresss in your PM to me as I'm not "Ms Cleo" and can't read your mind. ;)

I've received several requests for the file with no e-mail address. I will note that many of the culprits are friends of mine. :rolleyes:

Yahtz:

Last edited:
Why is the Air Force always so quick with this? The The FTS I am at is way over manned, due to all the Furloughed guys that came back after 9/11.
Hope fully it thins the herd when FedEx starts interviewing again.:D
Just kidding, It sucks to have your future F*cked with.

Why is the Air Force always so quick with this?

When I was stuck in Stop Loss about this time last year, I was told that whenever a certain number of Guardsmen/Reservists are activated that the AF must institute Stop Loss -- I've never been able to find the reg or law that dictates this, so it's all hearsay.
I really feel for the guys who had plans that are now on hold -- I sat and watched 48 seniority numbers tick away while the swivel chair warriors at Langley sat on my waiver.
But, if misery truly loves company, just look at my avtar -- guess we're all in this together.

Z

Zulu said:
When I was stuck in Stop Loss about this time last year, I was told that whenever a certain number of Guardsmen/Reservists are activated that the AF must institute Stop Loss -- I've never been able to find the reg or law that dictates this, so it's all hearsay.Z

Zulu,

I doubt anyone will be able to find the reg or show you that law. What the Active Duty Air Force did last time was simple: they used stop loss has a manning tool...regardless of what spokepersons may have said. Do you remember the Randloph AFB spokesperson, Lt Col XX? Talk about doublespeak. :rolleyes:

If stop loss was tied to activations, how could some Guard & Reserves units be activated right now while the Active Duty AF isn't stop lossed?

To clarify the situation, my previous commander briefed our squadron in January specifically mentioning Active Duty Stop Loss & Activations of the Guard & Reserves are two separate entities. You can have one without the other. This information may not help, but I'm giving you the truth as I understand it.

May God be with you, your family, and your squadron in the months ahead.

Yahtz

Yahtzee said:
Zulu,

If stop loss was tied to activations, how could some Guard & Reserves units be activated right now while the Active Duty AF isn't stop lossed?

One way this can happen, Yahtz, is that the AF uses the word "mobilization" with respect to calling some reserve units, like mine, to active duty. Talk about your double-speak. Calling what has happened to my unit a "mobilization" instead of an "activation" does two things: one, it avoids the sticky situation you mentioned above; and two, it gives the DoD the option of letting us be "mobilized" for one full year, then be actually "activated" for another year beyond that. Fun with semantics, huh? I'll pull out my "mobilization" orders for you and we'll pick apart the language someday.
To clarify the situation, my previous commander briefed our squadron in January specifically mentioning Active Duty Stop Loss & Activations of the Guard & Reserves are two separate entities. You can have one without the other. This information may not help, but I'm giving you the truth as I understand it.

Not necessarily so, Yahtz. There are provisions in DoD regs that formalize the relationship between activations and stop-loss. But clearly there are ways around those relationships, as we see above.

May God be with you, your family, and your squadron in the months ahead.

Yahtz

Thanks Yahtz, back to you as well.
Cheers from another continent!
HP

Latest resources

Back