• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

Hawg68

Hawg
Guys and Gals,

In the spirit of 1800RVR I would like to keep the brown poolie ball bounching with of couple of questions:

1. Of the fortunate folks that have hit the property can you tell us what the Hi/low/average age of your classes have been?

2. Is the July 25th class full yet?

3. Any words on future classes?

Word on the street is that the brown has entered about 200 folks into training since they began hiring and that the pool is floating about 70 deep. Anyone with more accurate or up to date words? We are all ears!!!

Good luck to all and another congrats to RVR....

Hawg

Anyone know if HR is still calling anyone for pilot interviews? Been updating online, would love to hear something. Good luck.

There are a few folks who have a little more insight into the questions you ask and I am sure they will let you know specifics in a little more detail. But, to get you going, the average age is coming down a little. I would say that it is around 35-37 with 30 being at the low end and late 40's at the high end. Interesting to note though, any class that has at least 15 people in it has all the same representation. Ie. each class has a commuter guy, a heavy guy, some major guys, all the military divisions, a female or two, a "minority" or two, a fractional guy, and a "how did that person get in" guy. I find this mix to work just perfectly because it doesn't allow any group to become too dominant, ie. allowing more unity.

I don't know about the July 25 class.

We were all told that 300 was the number. This number is rumored to go up to 500. However 300 was for the year. There are approx. 180 new hires now. The good news is that some very smart people at our union headquarters have figured that we will need at least 200 new pilots per year for the nest 6-7 years just to cover retirements and previously established aircraft acquisitions.

Sounds good.........I hope

Chin up!

The first year you don't pay anything out of pocket because you don't make anything. Of course you can upgrade a bunch of things but at 32 you shouldn't have to.

Upgrade will not be before your first year is up. Plus why give them a reason to have another look at you in the sim. There are roughly 200 "over 60 guys" sitting as engineers. If they leave after the new contract then you'll be longer in the seat. Some say that about 60-70% will go. Who knows. Then it'll be before your second year is up.

You will be pay protected in your 2nd year provided you would be able to hold a flying position in your second year.

The new contract will affect years 1-12.................hopefully dramatically.

Easy to commute on our airplanes. Chautauqua (please tell me I spelled it right) is a super bunch, SWA luvs us too, and the others are fine...never been bumped yet.

Also, after further consideration, I realized that the average age is probably closer to 34 or so.

Adding to Brown Cow's post....

The company will pay for your hotel and give you per diem while in training through your sim check.

The company pays for all uniform expenses. The first year you will be issued something like one jacket, two pants, ten shirts, overcoat, hat, tie, etc. In subsequent years you will be authorized replacement items, but the quantity of each varies year to year. In addition, they will provide you with a brain bag and a Travel Pro suitcase.

Like most airlines, the difficulty of your commute will depend on where you live. Some of the more difficult places to commute from are So Cal, DFW, and South Florida.

bite the bullet-make life easy--move to looneyville.

we are all eager to find out about the contract neg.s (let's say i haven't bought my yearly pair of brown shoes yet--on a side note: i do have a very comfortable pair of new balance walking shoes)

johnny

live from jefferson county prison

Hawg, you da man!!!

Hawg,

Way to go to step up and continue the tradition! I knew you were the one to keep the posts coming. You passed the test! :D Do me proud, Hawg!

I am officially retiring as the official UPS Pollie Cheerleader, and I am passing the baton to Hawg. Poolies: Hawg will keep you entertained just as I hopefully did! With some help from LLB and bohnzai, you guys are in good hands!

In all seriousness, I truly hope that you all get out ASAP and get that elusive medical call. I look forward to meeting all of you in person in SDF so we can sit back and have a case of beer or two! And, I'm a cheap date - Miller Lite works just fine! (Just kidding - I'll be the one buying the beer to thank you guys!)

1800 RVR
UPS Poolie Cheerleader extrodinaire (ret.)

Thanks

Brown Cow,

I know I speak for all the poolies when I say I appreciate your willingness to provide such great insight to our futures. Thanks for the positive words. Chins are up!!!

RVR,

Great to hear that the good news is steadily flowing your way. Save us a seat and we look forward to your updates from training. God's speed and good on ya!!! Now, back to my chocolate jacuzzi..........

Hawg

To tag on to Below Mins last post:

I was hired in '01 and if I remember correctly, you are provided a hotel and per diem through your release to the line check.

Congrats to all the new hires and it's great to finally see some movement around here.

BD

Please keep us posted if anyone finds out how many guys are remaining in the pool. I have a friend that got called this week to interview around July 11th. Thanks for all the info..please keep it coming this wait is killing us!

Last edited:

Latest resources

Back