• Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

GotBoost?

I was checking weather for my flight later this afternoon & saw this:

AGC UUA /OV PIT045030/TM 1456/FL100/TP B737/RM MASSIVE NUMBER OF
BALLOONS MVG NE

Anyone know the story on this one? A new way of delivering chemtrails? Doesn't seem to be the best day for hot air ballooning based on the metar:

METAR KAGC 211553Z 28016G24KT 10SM SCT039 BKN050 BKN070 12/07 A3001
RMK AO2 PK WND 26031/1530 RAB22E44 SLP169 P0002 T01170072

probably a bunch of carnival balloons or something. I've flown past a bunch of balloons like you would see at a cheesy used car lot.

Actually had an incident like this about 2 years ago... I was on my Commercial required 250XC and somewhere near Indianapolis, I saw an object in the distance. Well Indy approach had been sending 75s and 73s over my head for the last half hour so I didn't think much at first, but then it was still there, not really moving...

I got closer and was still at my 12, started getting a little worried, as I got closer it took on multiple colors and all of a sudden there were hundreds of them!! (but all in one bunch for the most part) quickly diverted missing hundreds of regular helium party balloons.

Anyone remember balloon launches from elementary school? ya... they should contact the FAA for those. Can you imagine being at that school, launching the balloons and looking up as some airplane chews up all the balloons you just launched, each being hopeful that their balloon would end up the farthest away when someone finds it and reports it...

anyway, in short, probably a balloon launch or similar

i'm sure anything's possible, but what would happen if you flew through a big bunch of balloons like that? would it hurt the a/c?

I wouldnt worry about balloons too much. I dont think they would be that "concentrated" at altitude to do any damage but like you say, anything's possible.

Here in Eastern VA I'm more worried about birds. Seagulls, turkey vultures, and everything in between are numerous along the coast and inland areas. Ive seen thermals packed full of seagulls 20-30 miles inland. Definetly wouldnt be a pleasant ride if you plowed through them. See & avoid doesnt apply only to other aircraft.

Last edited:
cforst513 said:
i'm sure anything's possible, but what would happen if you flew through a big bunch of balloons like that? would it hurt the a/c?

Can't imagine it'd be particularly great if a bunch got sucked into engines, managed to snag on some antennas, ... things like that. Although, I doubt one would take a wing off or something like that. :D

yeah, i was talking more about the engine and prop. like if they all had really long strings attached and that kinda thing.

nono, you have to get your IFR clearance BEFORE entering the balloon (wow that was bad)

In the summer of '02 I was westbound approaching Brickyard VOR at FL280 a few hours after the Brickyard 400 started.

We went by lots of balloons. Tends to give you a real indication of cruise speed in a MD80.

Latest resources

Back