Union shops w/out contracts

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

Way2Broke

I can think of a handful of operators that have Unions, but no contract. Some of these places seem like they may never get a contract. To name two right off the top of my head: Regions Air, and Great Lakes. Are there others? What can be done to speed things along for these guys? Do you think that they will ever get a contract, or do the pilots move on too quick. Maybe this topic will liven up the new topic area.

I was at Great Lakes until recently, they are still operating off of the contract that expired in 2000 right now (while over 6 years of negotiations have taken place, F.O.'s still qualify for welfare from the state.)

Pilots moving on has a lot to do with it, apathy from the local 747, and apathy from the local pilot group. I flew with lots of pilots who never even signed there dues checkoff cards, and were flying for years without paying union dues.

Ford & Harrison (I think) represent Great Lakes, and have done a very good job against the pilot group. We even had a union president, with a totally clean record fired because his on-time performance was last in the company, and the union never could get him rehired. (The "Where's Paul?" campaign went nowhere.) Eventually, he was hired with Skywest, and an agreement was reached to purge his record of the firing. Needless to say, if Great Lakes can get away with that to the union president, they could get away with almost anything.

I am very impressed with the local 1108 over here at NetJets now, after seeing the local 747 over at Great Lakes. Night and Day.

Hopefully the situation will improve over there soon, so they will get paid a fair wage with fair work rules.

Apathy was once a problem at NJ, too. When the pilots decided that things had to change the grass roots movement Strong Union took off and lead to the creation of 1108. I think the leadership is right to warn the pilot force not to get too complacent and to remind them that participation is the key to strength. It's amazing what can be accomplished when enough members of a group decide to dig in their heels at the same time.

My family is pleased with the announcement of the leadership council slate. I wish those 5 hard-working, talented pilots the best of luck with the coming election. When you consider the amount of time and effort members of the slate have already given to the group in the jobs they currently hold or in the positions held over the last few years, it is obvious they deserve to be elected just as much as the NJ pilots deserved their pay raise. Remember, deserve means already earned.

Regions maybe go unionless soon, as the local union is doing exactly squat for us.. Appearantly all the guys who knew anything about the union bailed about 3 months into unionhood and no one knows anything.. Or so it seems..

Nothing is happening now.. I've been here almost a year and have seen nothing, heard nothing, spoken to no one from the local 747..

I wouldn't even know where to begin paying dues.. I would love to see something happen, some labor issue's, money issue's, however right now the union is about as uselessl as tits on a bull..

I'm very sorry to hear that. It sounds almost as bad as some of the things I heard from the NJ pilot group in regards to 284--the local they belonged to before starting their own local comprised only of frac pilots. From what I saw a group of NJ pilots who felt strongly about the situation banded together and made a commitment to change things. I'd look for others in your group who feel as you do. Grass roots movements historically have thrived in the soil of discontent. When the NJ pilots fully realized that THEY are the union things changed for the better.

Yeh, we need to get something done...

I wouldn't even know where to vote.. how to vote.. etc..

Sharing information, reaching out to one another, talking over the issues...that's where it all begins. When a group of workers realize that THEY are the union and can control their own destiny to a large extent, change is possible....a strong union is possible. It all depends on the motivation of the work force. Talk it up and look for leaders within your group. Ask other unions to share advice.

Remind yourself--where there's a will there's a way!

Tram said:
I wouldn't even know where to vote.. how to vote.. etc..

If you want information on how to get ahold of the local 747 just ask and I'm sure you will get a million replys! Maybe now is a good time for you to take the charge and get the backing of the Corpex pilots? After all, your company can but new planes, but they still can not unfreeze the pay. That is simply not right. Good luck, and if your interested, ask!

Latest resources

Back