Understanding 135.247

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

greygoose

I just need some reassurance, does this reg say that as long as I have been trained in the simulator at Simuflite. I am night current for the next 12 months. Meeting the fact I have 15 hours in the past 90 days.

Ummmm, night current for 90 days, perhaps....

Goose (no Top Gun reference intended)

135.247 refers to recent experience requirements for landings, both day and night, for a duration of 90 days (and not 3 months as some believe). The fact that you may complete the requirement in a sim training program that is 142 approved simply allows you to start the 90 day clock over when you go in for recurrent or a 6 check. Was that your original question?

and .247 only applies to aircraft certified for two or more crew. not sure what you're flying, but we ran into problems in the ka350 level d sims. and the level c 200 sims. but my guess is youre flying a two crew airplane.

greygoose said:
I just need some reassurance, does this reg say that as long as I have been trained in the simulator at Simuflite. I am night current for the next 12 months. Meeting the fact I have 15 hours in the past 90 days.
Assuming that you made 6 night takeoffs and landings in the sim (certain instructors apparently feel that they spent too much money on daytime visuals to get you 6 night t/o's and landings in the sim without you specifying the need).

Also, assuming that you made 3 takeoffs and landings during the day, and meet the pilot certificate and total time requirements.

Otherwise, yes, you are correct.

Fly safe!

David

Last edited:
Vastly Underemp said:
Goose (no Top Gun reference intended)

135.247 refers to recent experience requirements for landings, both day and night, for a duration of 90 days (and not 3 months as some believe). The fact that you may complete the requirement in a sim training program that is 142 approved simply allows you to start the 90 day clock over when you go in for recurrent or a 6 check. Was that your original question?
You might double check paragraph 3, which says
(3) Paragraph (a)(2) [--that's the night requirement--]of this section does not apply to a pilot in command of a turbine-powered airplane that is type certificated for more than one pilot crewmember, provided that pilot has complied with the requirements of paragraph (a)(3)(i) or (ii) of this section:
...and then (a)(3)(ii) explains the answer to Goose's question...
(ii) The pilot in command must hold at least a commercial pilot certificate with the appropriate category, class, and type rating for each airplane that is type certificated for more than one pilot crewmember that the pilot seeks to operate under this alternative, and:
(A) That pilot must have logged at least 1,500 hours of aeronautical experience as a pilot;
(B) In each airplane that is type certificated for more than one pilot crewmember that the pilot seeks to operate under this alternative, that pilot must have accomplished and logged the daytime takeoff and landing recent flight experience of paragraph (a) of this section, as the sole manipulator of the flight controls;
(C) Within the preceding 90 days prior to the operation of that airplane that is type certificated for more than one pilot crewmember, the pilot must have accomplished and logged at least 15 hours of flight time in the type of airplane that the pilot seeks to operate under this alternative; and
(D) Within the preceding 12 months prior to the month of the flight, the pilot must have completed a training program that is approved under part 142 of this chapter. The approved training program must have required and the pilot must have performed, at least 6 takeoffs and 6 landings to a full stop as the sole manipulator of the controls in a flight simulator that is representative of a turbine-powered airplane that requires more than one pilot crewmember. The flight simulator's visual system must have been adjusted to represent the period beginning 1 hour after sunset and ending 1 hour before sunrise.
Nothing in there about night landings within the last 90 days.

Fly safe!

David

Mr Skinner and Goose,

Perhaps I mis-interpreted Goose's question. It sounded to me that he was asking if he was night current for the NEXT 12 months if he completed the required sim training mentioned in (ii)D. That's not my interpretation of the reg. This new reg simply allows you to be night current if you're already day current and meet all the other requirements

1500 hours TT, multi-pilot turbine type, 3 sole manipulator day t/offs and landings in each type airplane you're seeking exemption for within the preceeding 90 days, 15 hours of flight time in type within the preceeding 90 days, 3 night landings within the previous 6 months in a multi pilot turbine airplane...

or

1500 hours TT, 3 sole manipulator day t/offs and landings in each type airplane you're seeking exemption for within the previous 90 days, 15 hours of flight time in type within the previous 90 days, and completion of a 142-approved training program that included 6 night t/offs and landings.

As my POI explained it to me, you need to pass the history test. If, on the day you want to go flying, you can look back and

in the past 90 days you have 15 hours flight time and 3 day landings

and in the past 12 months you had the sim requirements

then you are current for night landings also. It doesn't, however, mean you're current for the next 12 months unless you meet the 90 day requirements. The hole guys get themselves into with this new reg is when they're flying multiple types of airplanes, as each of these requirements must be in type. Sometimes it's just easier to go do 3 landings, but the boss often decides to do this after a 13 hour day!

So this was really just a long winded way of saying yes, Goose, as long as you're day current as well.

Latest resources

Back