Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

h25b

Left for ProPilotWorld
Has ANYONE noticed lately that very few IF ANY people announce their intentions during their position reports... It's usually, "Cessna 123 Right Base Runway 04" and that's it... People seem to fail to grasp the importance of telling the world whether you're doing a FULL STOP, TOUCH & GO, STOP & GO, etc...

Not trying to be high and mighty or anything, but when you're coming in to the pattern in a jet things are pretty busy and its nice to know how many aircraft you're going to be dealing with AND what they are doing in advance... I'm usually taking a count of the aircraft (about 30-40 nm out) in the pattern and if everybody was announcing their intentions one could easily glean the exact number that will be in the pattern upon arrival... I realize that if the aircraft is a jet or turbo-prop it will almost certainly be a full stop. I am finding it more and more difficult over the past few years mixing in to some of these traffic patterns because you can't seem to get a clue as to what the other aircraft are doing.

So please, to all of the flight instructors... Tell your students what the proper phraseology is and emphasize the importance (why).

Sincerely,
Mortally fearful of mating a Learjet 31a with Cessna 172 :D

People talk too much on the radio as it is, and the problem is compounded in dense areas. I can see the value of announcing your intentions on final, but geeze, calling a T&G/Full-Stop/whatnot with EVERY call just adds up to wasted bandwidth.

smellthejeta said:
People talk too much on the radio as it is, and the problem is compounded in dense areas. I can see the value of announcing your intentions on final, but geeze, calling a T&G/Full-Stop/whatnot with EVERY call just adds up to wasted bandwidth.

Adding that "full-stop" would take all of about a half-second, get real... Did I say that it has to be on EVERY SINGLE LEG ??? I think not... :rolleyes: I have been in and out of just about every major metro area in the country and I can name few (if any) areas where being precise/thorough would cause a problem.

gkrangers said:
Be happy people are announcing their position.

O.K. I guess I've just figured out what that problem is... Evidently no one cares.

Obviously I struck a nerve. Sorry... Lighten up.

Last edited:
gkrangers said:
I'm just saying, lets get everyone making position reports before asking for more. People are bad enuf with position reports as is.

Why can't we do both ???? :D

h25b said:
Adding that "full-stop" would take all of about a half-second, get real... Did I say that it has to be on EVERY SINGLE LEG ??? I think not... :rolleyes: I have been in and out of just about every major metro area in the country and I can name few (if any) areas where being precise/thorough would cause a problem.

O.K. I guess I've just figured out what that problem is... Evidently no one cares.

Obviously I struck a nerve. Sorry... Lighten up.

You sure implied it with you base leg example. Dude, I learned to fly at GAI. That's a place that sorely needs a tower, and is full of people in the pattern who think they can't make a turn without announcing it... meaning that they fly really long downwinds among other things while waiting for a "break". Second, if they're still using 122.7, try making a transmission on a Saturday afternoon without getting that squeal in your ear. That said, any extra verbiage just contributes to frequency congestion that is not needed. Making the statement once on final? Sure. Making it every time (how can it NOT be implied with your base leg example)? We've got bigger issues to straighten out.

GAI taught me how to hate my radio at non-towered fields... Half of the time I just shut it off over there :) I use them (non-owered fields) when I need them, but for kicks-and-grins flights I like the atmosphere of a tower 10x better.

To the guy in the Lear,

Technically, radios aren't even required, but if it is an issue, just ask how many are in the pattern.

And. . . . if it's anyone who's not announcing, it sure isn't flight instructors. Remember, a flight instructor certificate means they most likely know they are supposed to be self announcing, as well as how to do it.

A lot of the radio calls depend on what is happening in the pattern or traffic area. If there is an aircraft behind me, I will announce my intentions (full stop, touch and go).

When the field is non-towered (or tower is closed) I will announce my position about 10 miles out to find out if anyone else is in the pattern. If I get a response, or hear someone else on freq., I will update my position and intentions.

If I do not hear any else on freq, I will announce downwind, base and final, in case someone has come up on freq.

H25B, I do agree that it can be challenging when others do not make position reports when in an aiport vicinity. Last week at night, I had someone come in below me on final, never announced anything until they were directly underneath me, although we had announced our position on downwind, base and final.

If I am at a non-towered airport, I will update and make more frequent position reports if I hear another plane in the area.

Flew into a nontowered airport yesterday where a 172 was in the pattern doing touch and goes. We slowed early and sequenced ourselves in behind him on downwind. He was apparently rattled that there was a jet behind him and said that he was "extending downwind to let the jet land first".

While I certainly appreciate the gesture, sure would've been nice if he had just flown his normal pattern. That, after all, is what we were expecting and what we planned for. There was no safe way to "cut" in front of him so we both ended up making an 8 mile final in the pattern.

check6 said:
To the guy in the Lear,

Technically, radios aren't even required, but if it is an issue, just ask how many are in the pattern.

O.K., THAT'S exactly when the freq. DOES get congested, when everyone starts having conversations as to where everyone is. You make my point perfectly, if people would just do it right to begin with there wouldn't be a problem. How about we all just stop making excuses and do it according to well establised FAR/AIM procedure. Why do he have to re-invent the wheel. Geez..

And I am NOT talking about those without radios, I am well aware of that. Just because they are not required doesn't give people a license not to use 'em when they have them... :rolleyes:

smellthejeta said:
You sure implied it with you base leg example. Dude, I learned to fly at GAI. That's a place that sorely needs a tower, and is full of people in the pattern who think they can't make a turn without announcing it... meaning that they fly really long downwinds among other things while waiting for a "break". Second, if they're still using 122.7, try making a transmission on a Saturday afternoon without getting that squeal in your ear. That said, any extra verbiage just contributes to frequency congestion that is not needed. Making the statement once on final? Sure. Making it every time (how can it NOT be implied with your base leg example)? We've got bigger issues to straighten out.

GAI taught me how to hate my radio at non-towered fields... Half of the time I just shut it off over there :) I use them (non-owered fields) when I need them, but for kicks-and-grins flights I like the atmosphere of a tower 10x better.

Never mind, you don't get it...

Last edited:

Latest resources

Back