UAL furloughee back on the line?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

Puppy

Looking for personal views/opinions (re: work QoL, Long call/short Call system, or anything else regarding the job/company) from any UAL furloughee who's now back flying the line (preferably at ORD).....Getting down to the short hairs for giving a final answer.

They must all be too busy to reply. I'm going be forced into a decision soon. I'm not smart enough to get on with FedEx or UPS, so I'll end up back at United. Long term, I think things will get better at United. These things are always cyclical. Go back puppy, I'm trying to hold out until August or Sep.

You can have my Jun 4th slot.....I'm not ready to resume the life of a commuter on reserve, with only 10 or 11 days off per month. I'm thinking the long call system might help out a bit, but it's still a less than desirable QoL for someone that does not want to move to Chicago or DC.

I agree on the QOL and going to training in the summer makes it even worse. Unfortunately I haven't found anything else that I expect to do better long term.

Wish I could put this off another 3 years.

Just got my final recall notice for a July 9th class.

3/20/00 hire.

Junior lineholder on the 737 or A320 in ORD/IAD or 40th percentile E190 captain at JB? Live in NE (not Nebraska) and have an easy commute to JFK right now. Hoping to get to west coast in about three years.

I can't believe that my [once] dream job of flying for United has turned sour and that I'm considering not going back.

GP

I hear ya GP. I justify going back with the hope that all this is cyclical and things will get better at UAL. Then worse, then better, you get the idea. My furlough job has been a blast with great QOL, however not a long term proposition. I'm a 1/17/00 hire and am hoping to hold off till August.

Gup:

I know what you are going through. I had to make the same decision. Gave up on the Tran to return. The jury is still out...don't know if I did the right thing. For me the decision is not as critical as some. I'm a retired AF guy trying to get back to DEN. Consequently, pay is not as big of an issue. Yes it sucks to commute to reserve. Live is Denver and fly the 767 out of IAD. 2/2/2/6 off. The 6 off is nice. Many times I am released early...aggressive pickup helps. Don't really have a grasp on the long call stuff yet. Have to admit an entire day in Brussels yesterday was nice.

I think was bothers me the most are the attitudes/aptitudes at the company...both management and employee. I don't think management has the wherewithal to run the company. The CFO in my opinion is a complete idiot. For him to remain in that position leads me to believe Tilton is also a complete idiot. Not sure if these guys want the company to continue as a long term entity. I've never questioned the greed of these meatheads, but I'm starting to believe it is all about them. The company business plan is centered around the business customer...that's a joke. The way these people are treated by flight attendants is tragic. We also have bafoons taxiing around at 8 knots and flying as slow as possible. Who are they pissing off? The same ones we did in 2000.

Spoke with a friend at the Tran and he asked the same question you did just the other day. He lives in ATL. Told him if I lived there I would remain. I have a lead anchor in DEN (my wife...never get her to move...please don't tell her a called her an anchor). So my motivation is somewhat different...eventually I want to fly out of DIA. Nothing available to my retread class. PBS is a piece of s$$t. Only helps the rich get richer...that's what airlines are all about!

Good luck to you. Grizz

Grizz,
thanks for the feedback...kind of what I was expecting to hear; a mixed bag of plusses with a whole lot of minuses. How's the commute from DEN to IAD working out (I guess you're getting the 6 months of BP-3s)? What are the DC crash pads typically like? Is the crew desk easy to work with in moving RDOs around? Best of luck getting back to DEN.

Gup:

I get the BP-3s, consequently the commute is not bad. Without is a different story. Seems as if every seat is filled. Crashpads are not really available...that I am aware. I rent a room for $400 a month that is 25 miles from IAD. During peak traffic that is an eternity to get to work. I did however see a new crashpad listing on the lounge BBoard for $300. Pretty much have to have a car to cover all 3 airports. No public transportation to get around. Hope that helps.

Grizz

Gup:

I get the BP-3s, consequently the commute is not bad. Without is a different story. Seems as if every seat is filled. Crashpads are not really available...that I am aware. I rent a room for $400 a month that is 25 miles from IAD. During peak traffic that is an eternity to get to work. I did however see a new crashpad listing on the lounge BBoard for $300. Pretty much have to have a car to cover all 3 airports. No public transportation to get around. Hope that helps.

Grizz

Thanks again Grizz,
I've made my decision though. I've had a fantastic QoL these past 5 years and I'm not ready to give it up by returning to a low-seniority-2 hop commuter-on-reserve lifestyle. If we were already established and living in a domicile, then I'd probably return. As in your case, I would have done the same thing you did. You'll just have to tough it out for the short term; eventually you'll get a lateral back to DEN and life will improve a lot. Still can't believe I walked away from what I once regarded as my "dream job".

Latest resources

Back