Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

Cardinal

Of The Kremlin
For the major airline interview, transcripts from one's education are likely a necessary piece of documentation. Would you hand the interviewer an opened transcript, i.e., the single 8.5x11 crammed into your stack of stuff? Or leave it in it's nice sealed, stamped envelope, in a presumable untampered state?

Is the sealed thing just for pretentious academia? My past interviews have gone fine with a photocopied transcript. Heck, opening an envelope seems like more work than you'd want to impose on an interviewer. And trash is generated. And I suppose if you were suspected of tampering your transcript, every other piece of documentation supplied would be suspect as well.

Nevermind, I think I've just talked myself out of presenting selaed transcripts.

The airline will let you know how they want your transcript. I've been asked for a sealed transcript, unsealed original, and for a photo copy. Just depends. Just follow their directions and you don't need to worry.

I may be totally stupid here, but I thought sealed referred to the embossed seal thing on the original...????

GeneralAv said:
I may be totally stupid here, but I thought sealed referred to the embossed seal thing on the original...????

Actually the college will send your transcript in a sealed envelope usually with the signature of the registrar stamped on a piece of tape where the envelope is licked shut. I guess this is done to show there is no tampering. That's what my college did.

rdy4to said:
Actually the college will send your transcript in a sealed envelope usually with the signature of the registrar stamped on a piece of tape where the envelope is licked shut. I guess this is done to show there is no tampering. That's what my college did.

Agreed. If the company requests an official transcript, you need to contact the school and have them mail it directly to the prospective employer. If they don't ask for an official copy, bring an unsealed photocopy.

I have taken my sealed transcripts to my last 3 job interviews. I got all three jobs, and fortunately, the envelope has NEVER been opened. They just want to see that you have them I guess.

An official transcript is one that is unopened; it has a tape,or a seal of some sort across the closing edge at the back of the envelope. There will be a signature there from the registrars office.There are two ways to present an official transcript:
1. You can order SEALED transcripts from your school. You can order more than one at a time. Saves time/effort. Then you hand carry the sealed envelope to the potential employer.

2. You can write to the registrar at your college and ask that office to forward a copy of your transcript to the employer. This generally is a much more time consuming process and may, or may not, get done in response to the first request.

Given the above, I have always found it best to hand carry an unopened, sealed, official transcript to the potential employer. At that time you can offer to have your school send one out from the registrars office. Let the employer tell you. But, if you have an official unopened copy in your hand at the time, that will usually be sufficient.

Best,

Latest resources

Back