Training programs problems

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

alitalia

A few months ago i was hired as a fo for a regional. I had problems during training and consequently ended up leaving. I'm hoping that my life long goal has not been destroyed as a result of what happened. If there are any other pilots out there who have gone through a similar experience, and have successfully been hired again with another regional company, could you please write about your experience, and what you did to rebuild your marketability. I'm looking for advice as to where to go from here.

I went through the same problem just a few weeks ago at Ameriflight. I didn't keep up on my instrument skills and had a difficult time during the training and decided also to leave.

The biggest problem I had was my confidence. I'm worried now that I just may not be good enough to make it anywhere.

It's hard enough now days to get an interview to only work your ass off during training and then not cut it.

But, I'm gonna keep at it and do my best to get my skills back up to where they should be and hope that at some point it won't be so far between interviews. I passed my CFII ride yesterday, and now I just need to get me some instrument students ;)

sb

alitalia said:
A few months ago i was hired as a fo for a regional. I had problems during training and consequently ended up leaving. I'm hoping that my life long goal has not been destroyed as a result of what happened. If there are any other pilots out there who have gone through a similar experience, and have successfully been hired again with another regional company, could you please write about your experience, and what you did to rebuild your marketability. I'm looking for advice as to where to go from here.

It's not the end of the world. You probably learned a lot during training. Look introspectively and fix whatever you can. If it comes up on an interview and you can tell them where you went wrong and what you've done to fix it you will be considered. If you talk about airline X's crappy training program you'll be looked at real carefully and possibly not hired. Even if airline X's training was crap (like it can be) don't blame them. Take the responsibility and move on. I've had a lot of success working with pilots that have had training problems and I've had some myself. Feel free to PM me if you want some suggestions.

Make sure you change or "mix" things up differently the second time around since take I one did not produce the desired result(s). All the 121 training programs are relatively the same and they are not designed to "train applicant till pass". You either have it at this point in the ball game or you do not, simple as that. If you don't make the required adjustments then you probably will get the same result which surely will not make you a very happy person.

Spend the time in a sim. and get it together prior to going after this again.

good luck

3 5 0

Hey there i have suffered through that same let down and i have learned lots from it. Since then, i have decided that aviation isn't for me and i have quit flying. Call me a quiter or what you like but im happier not going thru it again. Ask me what i would have done if i had to do it all over again and i will say the following. Do your best studying and memorizing all your materials and also choose a good sim partner cause it can make you or break you. Also be sure your happy at the place you have chosen. Study the company and the place where your going to be based. If your not happy there you probrably won't give it your 100%. Also dont let them bully you around in the sim.. if you feel like they are pressuring you to make a mistake then STOP the sim ride and ask for either the FAA or the Chief Pilot. As far as getting back into a regional i believe the Chief Pilot at ASA told me this... Get back into flying , stay current, and get a job at a part 135 company. Once you have proven yourself there you will be marketable for the regionals. Goodluck or at least better luck than me... :-D

pilotboy,
You were at ASA? What happened? Do you think that the training was not all that good, or were you just not expecting the traing to be hard. Did they give you a hard time in the SIM. Sorry about what happened. I hope everything is going better for you now

Latest resources

Back