Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

Chunk

SkyFuzz
I put 500 rounds through a Glock 22 today...my first time shooting one (well, more than a magazin or two.) I liked the smoothness, but was not able to really be consistent with it. I normally shoot sigs (own a 220 .45 and a 226 9mm - LOVE THEM!) and a beretta 92FS (wouldn't buy it again). I won't make any disparaging 'plastic' remarks other than to say that this was a NEW-IN-BOX gun and a mag already got scuffed up from a tac reload/hitting the concrete. Erks me. The standard Glock night sights were installed, which is a new thing for me...I think I was fixating on the dots rather than the sight picture.

Did you glock lovers find that you had to warm up to it, or was it love at first shoot?

Any tips/comments welcome.

Chunk

I own the model 22, .40 ACP. I think it shoots pretty good groups. Most of my experience is with long guns so I am sure there are more qualifed people to answer your question. What ever you do though remember that reloads will void the Glock warranty. Factory ammo only!

NRA BABY!

I had to warm up to 'em....but I love 'em.

The thing that I personally like best about them is a predictable trigger pull. You never had wonder when, during a slow squeeze, the weaponwas gonna fire.

In a former life, I was forced to carry a Smith and Wesson Sigma (and later the second edition Sigma). It was not only embarrasing, but worrysome.

We lobbied the chief for Glocks, but he wanted a duty weapon that "felt" like a gun (dumba$$!).

We ended up carrying the Beretta .40, which is also a fine weapon.

At the Federal Law Enforcement Training Center in NM, the have a Glock that they've been shooting for over two years now without cleaning it! (mind you they shoot over 13 million rounds a year there!). They just want to see how long it will go until it fails. So far so good (I'm told)

The Glocks have less mass than most other guns so there tends to be a bit more of a recoil. Additionally since the safety is integral in the trigger it requires more of a trigger pull pressure than most other semi-automatic pistols. It's sort of like the double action pull on a revolver.

After your first shot with the Glock, when you release the trigger do so slowly until you feel or hear an audible "click". Hold the trigger in that position and do not release it any further. Now your trigger is cocked for the next round without having the higher pull pressure of the safety oriented operation, sort of operating in a cocked single action kind of mode.

Shooting the Glock is a bit of a challenge at first. Once you get used to it, it can be very rewarding. If you are proficent shooting the Glock you will find firing other pistols very easy.

Like you I love the Sigs, hated the Baretta and I appreciate the Glocks pure function over form. The Glocks aren't pretty but they work flawlessly. Just like a hammer. Every time you swing you hit something but it really isn't a finesse tool. 5-7 yards, Weaver stance, double taps, all in center mass. Very, very effective but not a pistol you can love. The Sig does the same thing but it's also a pistol I can bond with. In my book there are only two choices for a defensive pistol: Sig P220 .45 or a Glock M21 .45. In distant 3rd place would be a worked over 1911 variant in, you guessed it, .45. So to answer your question I too had to warm up to the ergonomics of the Glocks, but I wouldn't have one iota of concern about using one to protect me and my family. So far I've owned 3 Glocks: M17, M19, and M21. All of them were extraordinarily reliable, but like I said they have no soul. Some guys like Fords, some like Chevy's.....

The only plastic gun I would ever own is the Sig SP2340. Glocks really don't appeal to me much at all.
HK USP .40 cal for me. I don't have anything against glocks, I just never came to fancy them.

A lot of people do like them though.

The 21 (45 ACP ) is a journeyman. It just shoots and shoots. I don't know how many rounds I've fired, but it's never failed to operate. I admit that it is the first and only quality handgun that I've ever owned. Well I did have a High Power before I came to dislike 9mm. I have a relative in the law enforcement field, who has let me shoot numerous other quality guns, but I always come back to my glock.

Latest resources

Back