Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

Resume Writer

Hi Everyone,

Here are some general tips that I thought you might find helpful. Most of it is pretty much common sense, but it provides a review for those who may not have interviewed in some time.

Hope this is helpful to everyone!

Kathy

TIPS FOR ACING THE EMPLOYMENT INTERVIEW

1. Relax. Yes, relax. The employment interview is a two way street. It is just a meeting between you and the employer to find out about the position and discuss how you can fill the need.

2. Don't memorize canned responses. Start by building rapport with the interviewer. Quickly look around the room and possibly find something you might share an interest in…such as pictures of a certain artist, a kind of furniture, just small talk…to break the ice perhaps.

3. Dress suitably for the position. Determine the company's attire and meet it. If their dress is business casual, you still need to be dressed in business professional attire. Ensure your fingernails are clean and put a bit of fragrance-free lotion on the hands. I recommend not wearing any cologne in case the interviewer has allergies. A clean fresh scent is better than cologne. Get a hair cut and color if necessary.

4. Polish your shoes; both men and women!

5. Wear limited jewelry.

6. Call the day or morning before the interview to confirm your appointment.

7. Make sure you know where you are going when you set out for the interview. Know the route you are going to take and how long it takes you to get there in case of traffic problems. Arrive in plenty of time, but not too early—10 minutes is plenty of time. That will give you time to go to the restroom or give you time to review your questions.

8. This one will depend on which gender you are—while in the restroom, check your hair, earrings, necklace, teeth, rings, collar, slip, skirt… for men check your hair, tie, collar, zipper on the pants, teeth, buttons on the shirt, and shoes.

9. Make a good impression on the secretary, administrative assistant or receptionist…and anyone else you come in contact with.

10. Be conscious of your body language. Mimic your interviewer. Sit up. Be confident when walking.

11. Have a firm, not bone-crushing handshake…even if the interviewer is a woman. I have yet to meet a woman who likes a man to shake her hand like a fish. She is a professional, too. SMILE!

12. Eye contact is most powerful. Keep your eye on the interviewer, but don't make them uncomfortable.

13. While interviewing, lean forward toward the interviewer. Show interest in what they are saying. Do not lean back.

14. Be prepared for uncomfortable questions. Most interviewers ask typical questions. If you know the typical questions interviewers ask, and there are some you are uncomfortable with, have your responses ready. Again, don't dwell on these, but be prepared.

15. Sell you! Show how you can solve a problem that comes up, increase productivity, or reduce costs. If you are already trained in certain subjects relevant to the position, state that you are and that they would not have to train you in that area.

16. Refer to your résumé. Your résumé got you the interview; feel free to refer to it, especially if you are feeling a bit uncomfortable. Look at it yourself, especially the qualifications sections if you get tongue-tied.

17. Listen to what the interviewer says and remember the information they seem to dwell on. You will use this information later.

18. Do not bring up salary, unless the interviewer brings up the salary. Once it is determined you are the candidate for the job, then negotiate your salary.

19. Practice and rehearse your answers to the common interview questions. Don't make them a canned response, but a sincere response.

20. Always thank the interviewer for their time when leaving the interview. Thank the receptionist and the administrative assistant. Make an impression.

21. When you get back to your car, allow 15-20 minutes to jot down additional notes and to fill in the notes you took during the interview.

22. If you really want the job, send a powerful thank you letter within 24 hours of your interview. A well-written thank you letter could really set you apart—especially if they are really having a difficult time deciding between two or three candidates. If written effectively, it can make the difference between getting the job and not.

good advice as usual.

having done interviews I personally think the most important is to TRY and relax -(but dont get over-comfy) interviwers are trying to make you feel welcome, but were not your friends...

remember - body language says a lot. dont slouch. People want a confident pilot. there is also a fine line between confident and cocky - cross it and chances are you are done.

dont embellish. If you dont have a degree completed, dont list it. - dont list 16 credits after the school and degree name. spend the time finishing the degree or simply leave it off. . I have seen "partial Bachelor of Arts degree"...is that like being partially pregnant?

dont ramble, give honest direct answers. dont make things up. Its painfully obvious...its OK to say "Im not sure" or "Nope, luckily I have yet to have an emergency outside the simulator". stop. end of question. If I want more info - I will ask you. please stop.

the worst thing -- canned answers..makes me wonder who you really are?? Be an individual. Kit Darby is wrong - we all are not robots with the same exact suit, the same resume, and same canned answer about descending below minimums. Again, are you the $49 Kit Darby pilot or are you a real person? I like to hire solid indivuduals, not mystery Kit Darby clones.

and the dress thing - Im still amazed that people look like slobs...be polished. Do you need the latest style or a big bucks suit?? no not at all, just look very neat. A haircut costs 20 bucks - just go for it.

PS - while you can usually get salary #s from industry resources (including here) I have never been offended by someone asking "do you mind if I ask the salary range of this position"....Id rather give a broad range than waste my or your time. salary numbers can be all over the board and its good to know not to waste your gas or pressed shirt for a job that will pay 55K when you need 90K just to live.

Last edited:
Gulfstream 200 said:
and the dress thing - Im still amazed that people look like slobs...be polished. Do you need the latest style or a big bucks suit?? no not at all, just look very neat. A haircut costs 20 bucks - just go for it.

Gulfstream,

I wish you or anyone else on the board could join me at job fair when I do my seminars. Here is just a sampling of the things I see:

A woman wearing a spandex tennis dress that goes right to the bottom of her rear - but here in the clincher - she is about 7 months pregnant!

A woman wearing a sheer white blouse with a black bra.

People with their kids in tow.

People wearing their current company uniform to the job fair.

People taking cell phone calls when they are speaking to an employer. I have at least one cell phone go off during the presentations I conduct.

People looking like they just rolled out of bed.

The list goes on...

I had a client who I referred to another career coach because he wanted to meet with someone face to face. (not a pilot, but an engineer) She called him to set up an appointment. This guy was in an interview with an employer and answered his cell phone. Then he wondered WHY he did not get the job.

Another woman that the Wells Fargo people told me about. She was in the interview, cell phone rings, she answers it and proceeds to have an argument with her mother. Phone rings again - she takes this call too. The third time the phone rings, they tell her the interview is over!!

I am continually amazed by these stories. You would think that there was some common sense in the world. However, after working in the airline business for 16 years I have come to the conclusion that 95% of the population should not walk around unassisted! :D

Kathy

Anyone have some Valium handy?

Resume Writer said:
1. Relax. Yes, relax. The employment interview is a two way street. It is just a meeting between you and the employer to find out about the position and discuss how you can fill the need.
Easier said than done, sometimes, especially when interviews are few and far between, and when the interview is for "that airline job." But, as always, Resume Writer provides great, learned advice.

those are pretty funny!!

the cell phone? folks. simple. leave it in your car. dont even carry it. You CANT be this STUPID.

now...the chik with the black bra showing...

one word...

HIRED.

:D :D ;)

Last edited:
yeah. guilty. I guess it was pretty obvious that would be my response....

Who was that guy with the drooling mutts? Pavlov or something?

:rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Latest resources

Back