Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

TX_Pilot

Prowling for BBQ....
Hey Everyone in the know at SWA!!! I have a question. I was just wondering what the chances are for a guy like me to get an interview at Southwest!!! I am sure that I am like many guys who have grown up in Texas, always wanting to fly for Southwest. I was just wondering if I would even get consideration by applying. I have about 5300TT, 3500 turbine PIC, mostly part 91, but no degree. I left College 6 hours short of graduating to fly full-time when my wife got pregnant. Believe it or not, "The Pill" can fail!!! So, a few years later, here I am with a beautiful wife and a wonderful little girl who keeps me busy when I'm home!! I am however ready to take the next step in my career. Would SWA even look at someone with only 91/135 turboprop time? How would my not finishing College while so close to graduation be viewed? Should I try and go 121 before considering SWA in order to get some jet PIC? I know the market is tough and there are a thousand guys before me wanting the same thing. I was just wondering where I would stand, or what I should do to become more competitive. Southwest has been my goal since I started flying at 18. I have had the privelidge of getting to know several Southwest pilots somewhat well over the years, and they all truly love their job, and wouldn't change a thing if they could do it all again. This just reinforced my desire to make it there. Sorry for the long post, But I was just wondering how I would look to the People Department. I look forward to the responses!! Ya'll take care!

-TX

Last edited:
If you have only six hours left, is there a chance you can finish up your degree? Remember some schools will allow you to finish up your degree through correspondance courses. If anything that would be the number one thing I would do to better my chances.

Southwest hires folks from the 91 environment all the time, and you have plenty of Turbine PIC. With a wife and kids I would not recommend going to a 121 regional because the cut in pay may hurt your family. Do you have any local connections that might be able to move you into a 91 Jet PIC job? Do not take a pay cut.

If you have the $$ the 737 type would also be helpful.

good luck!

Thanks!

Thanks for the responses!! Keep 'em coming!!

As for finishing up the degree, I would be able to through the college I attended via web courses. I could only take one course a semester that way, since all 3 courses are not offered simultaneously. The web class schedule is not yet as extensive as the regular schedule.

Regarding moving to a 91 jet PIC position, this has been a tough decision!! I have been offered some, along with some local contract pilot options on a Citation. The only reason I really hesitated on those was because it would only be about 20-30 hrs/mo as opposed to the 80 I am averaging now among the two groups I fly for. Would it be worth it in order to start building the jet PIC? I really wasn't wanting to go the regional route since I'd be looking at another few years before upgrading anyway, plus the only uniform I ever want to wear is a Southwest one! And, I really am having fun and feel like I am getting some good experience flying the King Air and Cheyenne into some pretty off the wall places that only have NDB or DME arc approaches. I've started shopping around for the type, too!! Thanks again for the responses!!! Ya'll take care!!

Not that I am a career councilor but...if you have 3500 hrs of turboprop time, more turboprop time will not help you. Quality not necessarily quanity is key. If you can move into a jet I would do so. As for the regionals...I think that they are a dead end. The upgrade times are long and getting longer, and the quality of life is not there. And the majority of young regional pilots will not likely even see the opportunity to go to a major for a long, long time...and with the pay and instability they are probably better off senior at a regional. QOL trumps most factors though, and don't forget life is short.:cool:

Dude,

You can get hired at SWA with what you got now. If you really want to work here, go get your type. The requirement is 1000 PIC turbine. Flying a twin cessna right seat will do you no good. First make sure you apply. SWA hires on personality, not if you have jet or turbo-prop time.

1. You have an EXCELLENT shot at SWA as things stand right now. I would recommend that you apply ASAPly if not sooner. With the new app, updates are easy enough & you gain NOTHING by delaying once you've met the minimums.

2. Going to the jet... close call. SWA likes to see advancement, and if going to the jet can be explained as a step up for you, then that's probably a positive. Advancing up the pyramid, broader experience, etc. The fewer hours per month are a negative, since 200 or 300 hours won't look like much on the resume (say, if your app gets looked at for an interview call a year from now). On the other hand, I don't know if the difference between 3500 TPIC and 4500 TPIC would gain you all that much either.

Look at the change in aircraft from the other angles as well: will you enjoy the jet as much? Will the QOL & time away from family be better/worse/same? Will you take a pay raise/cut if you switch? Will you get better CRM experience (i.e. stories you can use in interviews) one way or the other?

If SWA inexplicably doesn't call for the next 5 years, does one aircraft or the other open (or close) doors for you that you might want to take advantage of in the future? In your gut, which do you WANT to do?

3. Agree with previous thoughts re -121 time (i.e. skip it). Plenty of SWA pilots came in with only -91 experience, and history is quite clear that lack of a college degree is no disqualifier at SWA.

4. WHAT ARE YOU STILL DOING READING THIS??? GO GET YOUR RECORDS TOGETHER & START ON THE APP ALREADY! :D ;)

Best of luck!

Snoopy

Some thoughts

I agree somewhat with the previous folks who have suggested several different routes. Keep the following things in mind:

1. Very competitive out there with loads of folks with lots of quals, hrs, types & college degree. Addressing the issues that I believe are important:

> Getting an interview is obviously the key. However, you would want to go into the interview with as strong a record as possible. Why? If you get through the interview but fail to make it past the decision board you'll ask yourself why. What could it be. Probably not lack of hours. Maybe lack of jet time, maybe lack of degree (yes folks get hired without it but it does show one's ability to complete a task....remember who you are competing against!), more complex aircraft, type

> Which of these things are under your control....all of them as you describe so tackle them one at a time. 6 hrs from a degree, yes correspondence.

> moving to more complex aircraft (you have the quals, need more complex aircraft/jet time in my opinion) will be looked upon as good.

> Type, yes it is good, not required but good.

Would I apply? I'd be hardpressed to say know since you meet the mins & then some. However, keep this in mind:

If you don't make it you'll have to wait 2 years before you can try again....why not go get the things you need now to make yourself most qualified vs. taking your first shot without them. Others would disagree maybe. The things I've described will take time so you could be doing it over the next few years. They also required dollars & time, you'll have to be the judge. Has SWA hired guys with your credentials? Of course. Could you be one of them? Of course. Good luck, hope it hasn't been too confusing, take care of wife & child....most important asset you have going for you!

cheers,

Great Replies!!!

What a good response!! Thanks to everyone!! It's definately a tough call!! Tough it out and finish the degree, go on to the jet, etc.... Or just take the risk and apply. It seems like there are so many variables! I DEFINATELY do NOT want to have to wait an additional 2 years to re-apply. Knowing that, I have done a few things today....Looks like I can finish the degree by the end of summer. UNT will let me take one class out here and count it, along with one UNT web course and one correspondence course of theirs as well. As for taking the jet oportunities, I am thinking about taking one contract position since they'll provide the type and see how it goes. Hopefully, it will give me some better CRM experience while also allowing me to gain some additional, more advanced aeronautical knowledge. Regardless of what I am flying, however, I still seem to learn something new every time. Obviously, I want to just apply so I can hopefully get there ASAP, but I want to make sure that my app doesn't get tossed out at the first viewing. I know it may sound kind of silly, but I want to be able to kind of stand out. Like I said earlier, I know that the competition is tough and there are probably a thousand guys just like me wanting the same thing. As chase said, "take care of the family first, they're my biggest asset..." (paraphrased)...I couldn't agree more. They are my top priority!! That's why I want to make sure I take the right steps!! I sure as he!l don't want to mess it up now after flying this much! My wife seems to "get it"....she keeps reminding me of what I told her when we first met in college in my frat house.....I told her that I won't be happy until I'm in the front of a Southwest 737!! I'm just ready to make it happen! Thanks again for the responses!! Ya'll take care!!

Latest resources

Back